New Chicken (pullets) Momma

Just get a heat lamp, and don't worry.

Indeed.

Yes, a heat lamp can be a fire hazard -- if it's poorly secured or used in a too-confined space. ANY electrical item is a fire hazard in a chicken coop to a greater or lesser degree.

But many people use heat lamps successfully -- firmly secured by a wire or chain in a roomy brooder and the alternatives may not provide sufficient heat in an outdoor brooder when the ambient temperature is too low.

I notice that the plate is being used indoors in a heated environment.

What does the manual say?

Brooder plates are almost always mounted horizontal so that all the chickens can be in contact with the heat source at the same time.
You can mount to wall. It's about the size of a laptop computer and 200W.

Is that the producers pride heater from TSC? If you can exchange it for the brooder plate/heater combo you can use it for chicks.

Producer's Pride Brooder And Coop Heater https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-brooder-and-coop-heater
1639327760201.png

Then it's not suited as a brooder.

The chicks have to be able to touch the plate to get warm enough. If they can't all touch it at the same time then, as noted above, you could have chicks crushed in the pile up or left out in the cold. :(
It can also be placed in brooder pen for them to cozy up to. I'm making them a little igloo to snuggle in front of the heat source. 200W is enough heat for sure.

I assume they can't touch the heat lamps people use. I won't use one of those. They scare me. I'd rather use radiant heat. It's safer. Won't burn to touch,uses less electricity and puts out enough heat for the chicks. If I see they aren't warm enough I'll add another form of radiant heat . We shall see. I'm in central Texas. It got down to 31* last night but I'll make sure babies are warm. Thank you..I'll keep you posted. I'm sure I'll have more questions

Then it's not suited as a brooder.

The chicks have to be able to touch the plate to get warm enough. If they can't all touch it at the same time then, as noted above, you could have chicks crushed in the pile up or left out in the cold. :(
I hope they won't be left out in the cold. I am keeping them in the coop with heat They have the ability to stand right near the heat source. I am turning on the heat a couple of days before they arrive too which should help bring the coop temperature up. As long as my thermometer tells me the temp is between 90-95:* I am hopeful they will be toasty. My husband bought a styrofoam cooler and we turned it upside down and he cut the side of the cooler off to make a very wide door and a place where the babies can snuggle with each other. If they are hot they can move away from their little box and heateer. If they are cold they can stand in front of heater . I am positioning the heater where it points into their little igloo home.

Attachments

• chicken coop.jpg
    chicken coop.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 1
I've got their cardboard condo ready. I will put puppy pads on top of shavings to scatter feed and prevent splayed legs. I've read for over a year. I'm as prepared as I'm going to be. It worries me the shavings and heat won't cause a fire. Merry Christmas 🎅 🎄
View attachment 2933747
I assume this is just for the first week or two? Did you make a cover? The walls aren't that tall so by the end of the first week you're probably going to see chicks start hopping out.

How many chicks are you expecting? Since you have both a brooding plate and an upright heat plate, I'd remove the upright heat plate - it'll get in the way of a cover, and chicks should have both warm and cool areas. Assuming the brooding plate is enough for number of birds, they won't need the upright heat.

Back
Top Bottom