New Chicken Raiser

Mamadel4

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 11, 2014
Hi everyone! I have got 6 chicks in my house. They must be about 5 weeks old. Living in Massachusetts it is still cold in the morning but our afternoons are now up in the 50's. Can someone tell me if I can start bringing them out during the day at least?

I'm in RI. Have 8 just a week older than yours. They will be fine as long as they are feathered. I moved mine out at 4 weeks. Kept them in the coop for the first week with a heat lamp. After that they have been free to come and go out to the run every day. I still turn on the heat lamp in the coop at night. My biggest problem is getting them to go inside at night. Some of them want to sleep outside.

I'm in RI. Have 8 just a week older than yours. They will be fine as long as they are feathered. I moved mine out at 4 weeks. Kept them in the coop for the first week with a heat lamp. After that they have been free to come and go out to the run every day. I still turn on the heat lamp in the coop at night. My biggest problem is getting them to go inside at night. Some of them want to sleep outside.
That is my same problem. I have to go in the run under the coop to pick them up. Any ideas on how to break that

They will eventually learn. Two nights ago, they all went in on their own. Last night, half of them did. Tonight two of them went in on their own. Try putting them on the ramp and making them walk in by themselves vice putting them all the way in the coop. That seems to be helping for mine.

Thanks! Got the girls outside last weekend. It was a lot of work getting the run ready but they seem really happy and I love having my dinging room back.

Back
Top Bottom