New chicken run and hen house

Nov 8, 2020
The chickens are around 6-7 weeks today was there first day in their new run and hen house. Its made with 2x4 floor frame and 3/4 plywood floor. It has 2x studs with t1-11 5/8 siding and is painted it in oil based paints.
I have yet to set up a convenient watering and feeding system but I have ideas.
Link to live camera inside the coop
Live feed of coop
20201202_120118.jpg

20201202_115757.jpg

I am still going to add 2' 6 more run space under the nesting box soon.

The run has a few nice amenities such as a convenient acces to the nesting box.
20201202_115424.jpg
20201202_115425.jpg

I also made a vertical sliding door with its pull string outside the run so I dont have to enter the run to close and open the door.
20201202_115955.jpg

The whole front panel is on hinges for cleaning the chicken litter
20201202_115921.jpg

Inside has a perch and a light for night-time its still cold and they are still young.
20201202_115845.jpg

It has 3 locks on the door to make sure no predators get in. And I still have a little more predator proofing to do.
20201202_120108.jpg

This is my first run and coop build so any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated. I already have some ideas of closing the nesting boxes in a little more to make them darker. And 3" pvc pipe feeding system. But the water i don't know what I will do yet.

Last edited:
I (briefly) used a PVC feed system. My tip to you is to orient it outside the coop, so you can refill it w/o entering the run, but point it's mouth under the coop, to help mitigate/minimize water entry from inclement weather.

PVC feeders can clump up if your feed is too dusty/powdery and water enters the picture - either straight rainfall or persistent high humidity.

Otherwise, I liked them, but the CornishX wouldn't leave them, so I had to change feed methods. Went to fermented mash and a series of plastic rain gutters as a "serving dish" for my birds. Left the PVC feeders in place for times when I have to be away, and can't reliably feed daily, now that we are down to just one CornishX (hen, laying), I've less concern with losing a large portion of the flock to over eating.

My only comment is chicken wire is great for keeping chickens in, but not great for keeping predators out. Including a rogue dog. Otherwise, solid build!! Good luck chicken tendering!
I agree hardware mesh is much better. Thats what I'm skirting it with for the predator proofing. Should stop digging and anything trying to reach in. Also my chickens are locked at night im the coop. I shouldn't have to worry to much about them at night. But for any future builds for sure hardware cloth. Chicken wire is a pain in the butt to work with. And racoons can stretch good sized openings in it.

I agree hardware mesh is much better. Thats what I'm skirting it with for the predator proofing. Should stop digging and anything trying to reach in. Also my chickens are locked at night im the coop. I shouldn't have to worry to much about them at night. But for any future builds for sure hardware cloth. Chicken wire is a pain in the butt to work with. And racoons can stretch good sized openings in it.

I've been thinking, a lot, about future builds. I used hardware cloth on the barn that I built over the summer and I dont even know how much I spent on hardware cloth. I threw the receipts out because I didn't want to know, lol. But I'm guessing it must have been close to $500 if not more. I think for my next build I am going to go with 2x4 welded wire sandwiched between chicken wire on each side of it and only use hardware cloth for skirts.

It's charming! Congratulations and thanks for sharing with us. I'll check out the live feed.

I'll also add my endorsement for hardware cloth. I don't worry about critters reaching or digging in. Worth the investment for peace of mind.

You also need more ventilation than those tiny holes. A good place to consider putting it would be on the wall facing into the run, as the run roof will provide some protection.

Back
Top Bottom