New chickens are shy

Naisha

Raptor whisperer
Oct 30, 2021
Spain
Hi! So, yesterday I got 4 Cochin bantam pullets and they were so scared yesterday when we got them that we put them in their coop and saw how they all got together on a nest and stayed there like a fluffy ball. They have water and food and a lot of space. Today I went to see them and I see they’re still afraid and enter in the coop as soon as they see me or my partner. I guess it’s normal, right? Later today before the sunset I saw them outside drinking, but they haven’t really explored the run. I’ve never got new pullets before, so I don’t know if I have to leave them alone until they come closer to me and earn their trust with food, or if it’s better to just go there and have “more presence”. I don’t want them to be scared of me, and I’d like to be able to interact more with them, and pet them if possible. What would you do? Thank you guys

Hi! So, yesterday I got 4 Cochin bantam pullets and they were so scared yesterday when we got them that we put them in their coop and saw how they all got together on a nest and stayed there like a fluffy ball. They have water and food and a lot of space. Today I went to see them and I see they’re still afraid and enter in the coop as soon as they see me or my partner. I guess it’s normal, right? Later today before the sunset I saw them outside drinking, but they haven’t really explored the run. I’ve never got new pullets before, so I don’t know if I have to leave them alone until they come closer to me and earn their trust with food, or if it’s better to just go there and have “more presence”. I don’t want them to be scared of me, and I’d like to be able to interact more with them, and pet them if possible. What would you do? Thank you guys
For new birds, I always sit with them for a few hours each day. Its a little much, but I really like friendly hens. Then, instead of giving them a free-feeder (like I do with everyone else), I would come by and give them food a few times during the day. Once they associate you with food, I start free feeding. I always quarantine birds for about a month. During this time, I check for issues, deworm them, and spend a lot of time with them. I recently got 7 new hens that were REALLY skittish. They would scream and jump away from me when they saw me. Spending time with them everyday really helped.

Go sit down on a bucket, and try feeding them wet mash from a long-handled spoon. It will make you seem less big & scary, but also add some distance between you & their beaks. If you're okay with treats, take them a piece of bread. Food is def one of the ways to a chicken's heart :)
I’m totally ok with treats! That way when they are too spoiled and ask for more I can say “you already love me!”

Wow thank youuu! I’ll try to be there as much as possible and take them food. It makes sense to do it that way and not free feed from the start, now that you mention it.
That just answered my question for my shy new pullets !!! Also I have had them for one week and they will not eat anything other than their crumbles … I have tried 20 different treats 🤷🏻‍♀️ They all seem healthy and otherwise are happy - I even bought them some grub- terras…. Not interested . Lol

For new birds, I always sit with them for a few hours each day. Its a little much, but I really like friendly hens. Then, instead of giving them a free-feeder (like I do with everyone else), I would come by and give them food a few times during the day. Once they associate you with food, I start free feeding. I always quarantine birds for about a month. During this time, I check for issues, deworm them, and spend a lot of time with them. I recently got 7 new hens that were REALLY skittish. They would scream and jump away from me when they saw me. Spending time with them everyday really helped.
How do you deworm them- ? I have just bought 11 week old pullets…. They were out in a pasture I should probably do warm them!!

Hi - I don’t know how to tell if they have worms . These are my first chickens . The farmer I bought them from had all the pullets out in a pasture running loose - he told me to just feed them medicated feed and they’d be fine .. I think they ate mostly cow poop over there - … but now I’m seeing controversy over medicated/non medicated . They look great and act happy - so 🤷🏻‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom