Mar 23, 2024
Hey all,

I just got my first flock of chickens!

A mixture of Sussex's, Columbian Black tails and Marans

1000003561.jpg
1000003560.jpg
1000003559.jpg
1000003563.jpg

Congratulations on your newly found hobby. Welcome to the forum. Beautiful flock you have. How old are the chickens? Where are you located? Nice and neat setup/build. Haven't seen the full picture of your coop. How are you ventilating? How many nesting boxes? Wishing you the best of luck to you. Have any questions, feel free to ask. The community is full of well knowledgeable people. Have a great day.

hi hun,
Oh how I remember those days, how exciting. Boring your friends with stories of chicken poop, new eggs and spaghetti experiences. Cleaning the hens out every day and buying anything with those magic three letters - h.e.n. A path of experimentation and ‘oh hell do I really have to have a shower ? I have to clean the coop … again’
Welcome to our world Friend 🥰
hugz

Looks like your coop and run might be undersized for that many birds. The standard size requirements is 4sq. ft. per bird in the coop and 10sq. ft. of run space. Good luck with your flock. :)
Thanks for your reply!

The run is 7.7m sq which is 85ft sq (roughly)

The whole set up is designed for 8 chickens so I'd like to assume it's suitable!

Congratulations on your newly found hobby. Welcome to the forum. Beautiful flock you have. How old are the chickens? Where are you located? Nice and neat setup/build. Haven't seen the full picture of your coop. How are you ventilating? How many nesting boxes? Wishing you the best of luck to you. Have any questions, feel free to ask. The community is full of well knowledgeable people. Have a great day.
Thanks for the reply,

The chickens are 17 and a half weeks old, South West England, the coop has inbuilt vent holes which allows for ventilation, one nesting box as far as I know, the coop/run is designed for 8 chickens

Last edited:
I am planning on letting them free range the whole garden from the beginning of May also, they won't be run-bound, excited for that also

Last edited:
Technically, a few of my coops/runs are too small for the number of residents, but my birds spend most of their days outside, foraging. However, they are not allowed in the garden as I don't want to have to fight them for my veggies. :D We've compromised, and I no longer try to grow flowers in "their" side of the yard.

Your set up looks lovely, and your birds are, too.

Best wishes with your flock, and welcome to BYC! Let us know if you want help with anything! Someone is always here.

Back
Top Bottom