New Chickens, One Empty Crop, One Raspy Breath

pixie74943

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
Wondering how sick my critters are. Or maybe just stressed from the move?

Alice has gone to sleep with an empty crop despite knowing where the food is (I have seen her eat twice today)

Gemma's breathing is a little raspy. Granted she FREAKED OUT when I tried to touch her, but I caught her within a few seconds. She was panting a bit and her breath sounded a little rattley.

They both came home yesterday, from a big farm with too many roosters. While the place wasnt clean from a people standard, it looked okay from a chicken standard. I havent seen either of them drink today, but the water level in their drinking bowl has gone down a tiny bit.

Are they still settling in? Or am I going to come home to a dead chicken (more worried about Gemma)? And why would a chicken go to bed hungry if she knows where the food is?

And what can I give them to perk them up? Alice is roosting comfortably, although she tried to peck me a billion times when I was putting her on the roost (I wont put her up again, just wanted to be sure they knew about it tonight). Gemma balanced on the roost for a couple of seconds before jumping down. She didnt seem to lose her balance, just seemed happier snuggled down in the straw.

I think I'm over paranoid, but I love Gemma to bits already, she's too cute for her own good
big_smile.png

Anyone?

Gemma's breathing sounds worse today. Alice was still asleep at 11am.

I gave them a scrambled egg, mixed with a little bit of tuna and layer pellets this morning.

do you have other chickens? If you do , please don't put them together for 30 days!!!!

Alot of peoples chickens are getting resp issues and some are fatal. here is a link to a lady that has had that happen.................not sure if its the same thing going on with the raspy one.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=366694

The other will eat when she is hungry...............give her time!

Gemma is still wet and raspy with her breathing. Everything else seems fine, she's eating fine, moving around, eyes are bright, comb is red. But she had the tiniest bit of snotty doop on her beak today.

Alice ate today, shes alot more friendly, relaxed, etc.

Neither of them seem interested in their roost though. I've put them both up at night, but they prefer to straw. Guess I just made a bad roost?

Oh, and the scrambled egg I gave them this morning (with layer pellets and tuna mixed in) was still there tonight

forgot to add, I tried to have a look at Gemma's throat to see if she had worms (gapeworms I think they were called?) and it seemed like her tongue was sticking to the roof of her mouth. At one point she was laying on her side and her breathing was fine.

IF it is ILT, here is some info......................

According to the Merck Manual the incubation period for ILT is 5-12 days. If you have had the birds longer then that then they could have been infected by wild birds or other creatures that they have come in contact with. Another possibility is that they have survived the disease when young and the stress of the new home made it reoccur.

This is from the Merck Manual.

Infectious laryngotracheitis (ILT) is an acute, highly contagious, herpesvirus infection of chickens and pheasants characterized by severe dyspnea, coughing, and rales. It can also be a subacute disease with lacrimation, tracheitis, conjunctivitis, and mild rales. It has been reported from most areas of the USA in which poultry are intensively reared, as well as from many other countries.
Clinical Findings:
In the acute form, gasping, coughing, rattling, and extension of the neck during inspiration are seen 5-12 days after natural exposure. Reduced productivity is a varying factor in laying flocks. Affected birds are anorectic and inactive. The mouth and beak may be bloodstained from the tracheal exudate. Mortality varies, but may reach 50% in adults, and is usually due to occlusion of the trachea by hemorrhage or exudate. Signs usually subside after ~2 wk, although birds may cough for 1 mo. Strains of low virulence produce little or no mortality with slight respiratory signs and lesions and a slight decrease in egg production.
After recovery, some birds remain carriers for extended periods and become a source of infection for susceptible birds. The latent virus can be reactivated under stressful conditions. Infection also may be spread mechanically. Several epidemics have been traced to the transport of birds in contaminated crates.

(got this from the other thread) I have had some i suspect of this and i culled them ASAP! Not saying yours has this but just good info incase................

They are quarrintined, correct?

Last edited:
yes they're quarantined, I like my critters alive..

I believe I found another page that listed the symptoms of infectious bronchitis (sp?) but the only thing I couldnt find was whether birds with IB became carriers, or if they recover fully

humm, good question! I thought they carried.............. Have you read updates on that link? I have been reading for my one who is acting funny also.

I also will do everything to keep mine alive!! I get so sad when i lose one
sad.png
I would just keep an eye on her. I had fowl pox one some and was loosing sleep. they are like our babies............... we are nutz
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom