New chickens that stop playing

anniepyanoe

Chirping
13 Years
Feb 13, 2008
central NY
Hi I got my girls last May,(16 of them) and by January I was getting about 10 eggs a day. Now it seems that 2 of my Easter eggers have stopped laying completely for the past 3 weeks. Is this normal for chicks that just started laying to stop so suddenly?

Now it seems that 2 of my Easter eggers have stopped laying completely for the past 3 weeks Is this normal for chicks that just started laying to stop so suddenly?
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

First for silly affect.. it's not normal ever for CHICKS to start laying. ;)

Next.. it is entirely possible since they don't read our rules about what they "should" do that it COULD happen.

I would look around for a hidden nest if they spend any time free range. EE are my MOST common offender.. once weather turns nice every year. :he

3 of 4 of my May 2020 chicks started laying this winter and then stopped through the month of February. And now 2 of them have restarted. So it's probably a combination of daylight hours, up-and-down weather conditions, and potentially juvenile molting that has put a temporary stop to their laying.

Hi I got my girls last May,(16 of them) and by January I was getting about 10 eggs a day. Now it seems that 2 of my Easter eggers have stopped laying completely for the past 3 weeks. Is this normal for chicks that just started laying to stop so suddenly?
Do they free range?

Back
Top Bottom