New chickens to flock, worms?

DuckNewbies1

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2020
So we got three new chickens today. When we went to see the options of chickens, we found there to be around 60-70 chickens in one small shed. We felt so awful for them that we bought three to try and give them a better life. Once we were driving away we noticed the white one was sneezing a lot, sounded a bit raspy, and was often stretching her neck out/shaking her head. No visible discharge anywhere, and seems to be eating alright for the short time we've had her.

After some preliminary research we think it could be gapeworm, and we think one other chicken is looking a little green around the edges... What would you recommend? Should we look into de-worming? What would that process be like? We're already quarantining the three new ones away from our regular flock. We just don't want them to die on us when we're trying to help them.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0137.JPG
    IMG_0137.JPG
    477.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG
    551.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    524.7 KB · Views: 5
So we got three new chickens today. When we went to see the options of chickens, we found there to be around 60-70 chickens in one small shed. We felt so awful for them that we bought three to try and give them a better life. Once we were driving away we noticed the white one was sneezing a lot, sounded a bit raspy, and was often stretching her neck out/shaking her head. No visible discharge anywhere, and seems to be eating alright for the short time we've had her.

After some preliminary research we think it could be gapeworm, and we think one other chicken is looking a little green around the edges... What would you recommend? Should we look into de-worming? What would that process be like? We're already quarantining the three new ones away from our regular flock. We just don't want them to die on us when we're trying to help them.

Any advice would be appreciated!
As suggested in your other thread, carefully examine their crops tonight and again in the morning before they've had anything to eat.
Pictures of their poops from overnight will be useful.
Examine their bodies focusing under wings and around their vents for signs of lice or mites.
Feel their keel to determine if they are underweight. Getting actual weights on the is useful information as well.
Do they have any nasal discharge or bubbles in the eyes?
Does their breathing sound clear?
Smell their breath to see if they have any foul odor coming from their mouths.

The white one has her tail in the down position which is not normal. She looks a bit pale as well. It probably would not hurt to go ahead and worm them with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally and repeat it in 10 days. Are these your only chickens or will you be adding them to an existing flock? If I had others, I would not take a chance on adding sick birds to my flock.

There are a handful of respiratory diseases in chickens, and some last for life. That means all birds will be carriers. The exact symptoms might give clues to which one they have. One, infectious bronchitis lasts about a month, and they would only be carriers up to a year. Unfotunately when buying chickens from another person, one never knows if they could be sick or carrying a disease. I hope that they will have a better life with you.

Do you know how old they are? What had the man been feeding them? They should be given a layer feed or all flock feed with some crushed oyster in a separate container shell for free taking.

Most likely they have some type of respiratory disease, not gapeworms. Dont let those birds anywhere near your existing flock. Whatever disease they have can be transmitted to your existing flock via your hands, clothing etc... remember biosecurity or your whole flock will get sick.
If I were you, I'd cull them and bury them far away from your 'clean' birds.

Back
Top Bottom