New chicks and 3 weekers

VAgal

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 25, 2011
Northern Virginia
Due to a mix up by the hatchery, I'm getting my chicks in 2 batches. The first group of 3 is 3 weeks old tomorrow and the second group of 3 is due Thursday or Friday. How and when can I put them together? This is my first flock so I'd appreciate any help I can get.
smile.png

You'll be surprized at how much those chicks (3 week olds) have grown when you get the day olds. There are a couple of problems with mixing them at this point: size of the older chicks and space. What happens is the older ones tend to run all over the little ones.

If you can keep the separated until the new ones are eating well and running about then you'll be better off. However, if your brooder is really large then go ahead and mix them now.

My brooder is 11' x 3' with lights all the way down one side. Thus, I will mix chicks up to 3 weeks apart, but not over that.

When the new one's arrive you'll be abe to tell what I'm talking about.

When we got our chicks at 2 1/2 weeks old, we were advised not to mix them with the 1 week old chicks. It's amazing how quickly chicks grow and develop. I'm not an expert, but think you might need to separate them until the little ones grow a bit.

I know the older one's are Huge, one's a light brahma. I've moved the big girls to the dog crate and have the rubbermaid brooder ready to go for the little ones. Should I use the separator on the dog crate when they're ready to go in there, or can I just put them all together when they are a few weeks old? Should I wait days or weeks to put them together?

I mixed mine at 3 weeks and 6 weeks. They seem to be doing fine. There are 10 6 week olds and 2 3 week olds. The 3 week olds kinda stay out of everyones way, but the teenagers are not hurting them in any way. Hope it works out for you.

I thought that was what you meant. I had read that you shouldn't mix them until they're the same size, but I figured it would be more difficult for them to get along as they would be almost full grown. The two brooders are right next to each other so they'll be able to hear/sort of see/smell? each other before they are put together. I'm hoping it will help. I definitely want them to get along!

I had new chicks last spring in 2 batches 12 days apart. Everyone told me I could put them together, but I chose to keep them separate for about 10 days because the second group had a few banties who were too small to mix. Then I put them all into a large brooder separated into the 2 groups with a little fence between for a week. Finally I took the divider out and the groups could mix, but the older group kept the younger ones in the corner they had occupied, and did not allow them to mix. They are 22 and 23 weeks old now, and out in the pasture and in the coop they remain in their little groups to this day. A couple have started to roost in the other's area lately.

Back
Top Bottom