New chicks and ducklings

jastech

Songster
Mar 30, 2020
How'd, been over 20 years since I've raised poultry. Was electrocuted in 2007 so many things went down hill and put on the back burner. Now disabled and a single parent trying to make ends meet. This corvin-19 has made it worse for all. So I told my son we need eggs that we can't afford so let's raise chickens. So I used a credit card (I know, but had to) and bought 20 Delaware, 20 Golden Sex Link and 4 ducklings. There are cats all over this area, so need a rooster that'll give them what for when they come around.

Still can't figure out what breed of rooster. With 40 chicks I need 4 roosters correct? Should I get different breeds?
Why do you want roosters? You don't need them.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE roosters! But they can be a real handful and if you want more than one, there are ways you will need to introduce them. If you've never kept a rooster before I would wait.
Wait until your pullets are fully grown and laying eggs. Then get ONE rooster that has been raised by chickens in a multi-generational flock. A rooster that has proven he is gentle with the hens, that he alerts appropriately, that he is not human aggressive.
Then if you decide you like him and want another, allow one of your hens to set eggs if she goes broody and raise the chicks in the flock. Choose one or more of his sons to be junior cockerels for your flock. It is a rewarding experience. But make no mistake, male chickens are hardwired quite differently than female chickens.

Welcome to BYC! We're glad you joined us! Do you have your coop and run built yet? :)
Not yet, chicks and ducklings are in a large tub in my living room until I can build what's needed. A 70+ lady told me she use to raise them many years ago, but now doesn't and that I can have her coop. So later this week I'll try and move it. My wire fence is 6' x 100' so could put coop in middle of circle? Or should it be a rectangle?

Attachments

• IMG_20200330_133123.jpg
    IMG_20200330_133123.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom