New chicks and new to chickens!

ZooMummzy

Queen of the Zoo
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Philomath, Oregon
After weeks of research, careful and detailed planning and trips to the feedstore, I finally decided to join the madness and raise chickens
big_smile.png
I just joined this forum yesterday so I thought this was the perfect time to say hi!

I bought the first 6 of our 8 "girls" today at the local feedstore - 2 Black Sex Links, 1 Rhode Island Red and 3 Buff Orpingtons. I have two more Rhode Island Reds coming in this weekend. We, of course, had to name them....Jasmine, Nina, Annette, Alice, Lottie and Rosalie. We have figured out how to tell who is who with everyone but the Buffs! I have to say after having the little Red, Annette, fall asleep in my hand while petting her...I'm already very addicted and attached
smile.png

I'm looking forward to learning from all the experience posted on this forum and having lots of fun here and with the "girls".

dsc0001mf8.jpg

dsc0004xd4.jpg

Welcome!!
smile.png
I just started with chickens as well with three Rhode Island Reds.
smile.png
ours are two weeks old today!
smile.png
How lucky that yours fell asleep in your hand!! What's your trick?
lol.png

Hi ZooMummzy,
I just got my first chicks 4 weeks ago.I have one word of advice"They grow like crazy"!!!
Mine outgrew the brooder in about 2 weeks it is the same size as yours. Start looking for their next home or they will be in your bathtub like mine are,but they are very happy.

You will find lots of info here,just don't become addicted like me.
My wife is already calling me one of those crazy chicken people from BYC.

Good luck with the chicks,
Ed

Welcome to BYC!! Don't feel bad ebari~ my husband calls me the crazy chicken lady already and I've only had my chicks for 4 days, lol. Everytime we talk it's "Guess what I read on BYC" or "BYC website said to do it this way." Reading this forum is the about the first thing I do in the morning (after fixing a cup of coffee) and the last thing I do at night. I never realized chickens could be so addictive but they are so enjoyable to have.

May you enjoy your babies ZooMum~ and may they grow up and give you bunches and bunches of eggs!!

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome! I'm not really sure, lol
lol.png
My whole life I have been afraid of chickens so this is all totally new to me. I just picked her up and started stroking her wing and out she went. I think she is going to be the tamest of the bunch. She seems to have that personality already.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! When I picked these up yesterday, they had 3 week old chicks in the next tub and they were huge! I have already started thinking ahead....will probably seperate them and use the other half of the dog crate for a while. After that...lol I'll just wing it!

I'm already known as the crazy cat lady so I might as well add crazy chicken lady to that title
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom