New Chicks and Possible problem

Flawedatdesign

Chirping
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Dixon Missouri
Looking in at the new babies we got today It looks like someone has bloody stool.

What should I do here? Not sure which one it is. I'm not able to set up a separate brooder at this time.

It could be Coccidiosis. Bloody droppings is the most recognizable sign. Other symptoms include lethargy and just a general worn-out appearance. If you're seeing bloody stool consistently, this is definitely the problem.

Here's a link about it: http://www.millerhatcheries.com/Information/Diseases/coccidiosis.htm

Coccidiosis
is caused by an overload of the coccidia organism in the chicks' intestines or caecum. It can cause death very quickly so you're going to have to get on it ASAP. One of the most effective treatments is Corid (contains Amprolium, and is available from Jeffers Livestock online if it can't be found at your local feed store). If you can't get Corid, then Sulmet is the next best thing. Both are added to the chicks' water. If one is showing symptoms, I'd treat them all.

But if your chicks are healthy and you've only seen blood in the stool one time, your chicks probably don't have coccidiosis. Cecal stools look very odd and can almost look as if they have blood in them, but are completely normal. There was a point where I thought my chicks had coccidiosis, too, but later found out that it was just shed intestinal lining.

Good luck with your chicks! Keep us posted.

If they do have coccidiosis, here is a list (pdf) of medications you can look for. Corid is probably best to start with. It is easier on the chicks. However, it doesn't treat as many varieties of cocci, so if the Corid doesn't seem to be effective, the Sulmet will probably do the trick.

Do keep an eye on their poops to know for sure. You can also take pictures of poop so we can help you decide if it is a coccidiosis infection or just a normal poop.

You may want to buy some Corid or Sulmet right away just in case. I keep a bottle of it in the cupboard since Coccdia is everywhere. Good luck!

Quote:
Okay, I just have to say that THIS is my kind of forum
smile.png
True chick lovers wanting new chick owners to post pics of questionable stool so they can help diagnose, that is just AWESOME!!! No chicks yet (Tuesday pick up), but I am obsessed with the "goings" of my dogs because that is sometimes one of the first places you will notice something wrong. When I worked at the boarding kennel, the owner loved me because she too, as a dog "person" was analytical of that kind of stuff and I could say "so and so had loose stool today, and it looked like..." Also, as a funny side note, my husband got sick of me asking "What did it look like?" if he told me that one of my "kids" (dogs) threw up while I was gone. I want to know was it partially digested food, bile, did you see any foreign matter in there, etc. So one time, when I got home, he said "Dan threw up earlier. Here, I took a picture of it so you could see.", and there it was, a pic of dog throw up taken with our digital camera
lau.gif
Perfect!

Good luck with your chicks, I hope they are okay!!!

Quote:
Okay, I just have to say that THIS is my kind of forum
smile.png
True chick lovers wanting new chick owners to post pics of questionable stool so they can help diagnose, that is just AWESOME!!! No chicks yet (Tuesday pick up), but I am obsessed with the "goings" of my dogs because that is sometimes one of the first places you will notice something wrong. When I worked at the boarding kennel, the owner loved me because she too, as a dog "person" was analytical of that kind of stuff and I could say "so and so had loose stool today, and it looked like..." Also, as a funny side note, my husband got sick of me asking "What did it look like?" if he told me that one of my "kids" (dogs) threw up while I was gone. I want to know was it partially digested food, bile, did you see any foreign matter in there, etc. So one time, when I got home, he said "Dan threw up earlier. Here, I took a picture of it so you could see.", and there it was, a pic of dog throw up taken with our digital camera
lau.gif
Perfect!

Good luck with your chicks, I hope they are okay!!!

My husband thinks I'm absolutely crazy for saving very questionable stools for the doctor to see. I've only done it a couple of times and I have four kids and an immune deficiency!! I am not crazy! I'm not! Really!!

One of our chicks had what looked like a bloody stool on day two, but turned out not to be reoccurring. I was greatly relieved. I hope yours turns out to be the same.

Back
Top Bottom