New chicks are here!! (no pics...but I have some newbie questions)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by scrange79, May 12, 2011.

1. scrange79

scrange79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    California
    Hi. We got our chicks this afternoon and they are very cute. I have a couple questions for you veterans.

1. I'm seeing pictures of people letting their chicks out to play and investigate in the house (out of the brooder). When is it okay to start doing this? The sooner the better to acclimate them to people??

2. Their brooder has plenty of food and water and warmth, but it sure looks boring. I was thinking of getting some of those cat toys (little plastic balls with bells inside). Good idea? Bad idea? Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot. I will post pictures soon.

Angie

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Quote:Cuddle cuddle cuddle! Thats the best way to get the birdies loving you. i have a white silkie who jumped up on my lap yesterday, fell asleep. Then I fell asleep, and we snuggled and listened to music together (kinda like what my cats do, but they cant stand Billy Joel. Stupid furballs.)
    Put a stick in there, a tunnel, a cup, anything you want. Mine liked a pile of yarn...

3. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Welcome to BackYard Chickens Angie! [​IMG]

How old are they?

You can let them run around a closed off erea now, just be sure to give them access
    to a heat lamp incase they get cold! [​IMG]

I always add golf ball sized wiffle balls, cat toys, and/or a big rock for my chicks to play
    with. As soon as my 3 chicks I had this year went into their outdoor pen, they went straight
    to the big brick. They love jumping on and off of things. [​IMG] You can also give them roosts, as
    these count as 'somthing to play with' in a chick's mind. Giving them live crickets is always fun.

You may have to encourage them a bit, but once they learn they are food, they'll attack them!

You can also add stuffed animals, or a feather duster. [​IMG]

Have fun!

~ Scissor

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  4. scrange79

scrange79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    California
    Thanks a lot for the tips. We will get some toys in the brooder soon. I'm doing my best to cuddle them one at a time without disturbing their sleeping times. Most of the chicks are 2 days old, the cochins and rhode island reds are 1 week old. It seems as though the younger ones are more inclined to relax in my hands. Several chicks took a nap on me yesterday. I promise I will post pics soon. I have to work this weekend - difficult to spend time with the chicken babies and my human babies.
    Thanks for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by