New chicks - can they be wiped off or bathed?

Mistahbue

Songster
6 Years
Jun 7, 2013
Brook Park, Minnesota
I just took in 8 week(ish) old chicks. Just checcked them all for pasty - nothing there - but looks like they've been sitting either in water or watery poo.

The breeder does not vaccinate any of their birds -- do I need to add Corrid to their water? Do I need to leave them alone?

I'm the stupid one - halp

There are a variety of things it could be.

They could have sat in something, such as water, during the trip or perhaps something else that was stickier. Some chicks can appear wet even when they aren't.

Droppings themselves are noticeable since they are very disgusting, so I doubt that its that.

I hope this helps. Posting a picture would help give an idea of what it looked like.

Good luck with your chicks!
smile.png

There are a variety of things it could be.

They could have sat in something, such as water, during the trip or perhaps something else that was stickier. Some chicks can appear wet even when they aren't.

Droppings themselves are noticeable since they are very disgusting, so I doubt that its that.

I hope this helps. Posting a picture would help give an idea of what it looked like.

Good luck with your chicks!
smile.png
So far so good. I've left them alone. I think they might have lain in food/dirt/water goop? Everyday I check them for pasty butt - not had it thank goodness -- they are growing like weeds. I've got to move them to a larger brooder area - the rubbermaid bin is about too small now. I might try a warm wash cloth to see if there's any left. They are getting feathers in so I figure most of that will be pushed off or rubbed off since it's the chick fuzz.

Is it okay to put Corrid in water? I still can't find the culprit but someone seems to have very loose poops.

Back
Top Bottom