New chicks - Care to guess the breeds?

Another update at 8 weeks old!

Pink feet? Jersey Giant? She's almost double the size of her flock sisters.

Def a Silver Hamburg.. Also the smallest girls other than the runt. Ended up with 3 of these girls.

Private our runt, she's about half the size of the other 2 with the same marking.
Developed at about half the rate as well.
Black Star? Could there be a chance she's a bantam black star?

Welsummer? We have three of these girls as well.

Small group photo

Naked Neck, could this be a roo? I'm really unsure on this one..

Still not sure on these breeds - We have two white beauties and 3 red girls. Any ideas?

Another update at 8 weeks old!

Pink feet? Jersey Giant? She's almost double the size of her flock sisters.
Black Australorp, probably.

Def a Silver Hamburg.. Also the smallest girls other than the runt. Ended up with 3 of these girls.
Silver Spangled Hamburg for sure.

Private our runt, she's about half the size of the other 2 with the same marking.
Developed at about half the rate as well.
Black Star? Could there be a chance she's a bantam black star?

I'm not sure what she is. Could be a Black Star.

Welsummer? We have three of these girls as well.

Either Light Brown Leghorns or Welsummers. When they get older, Welsummers will have red earlobes and Leghorns will have white earlobes.

Naked Neck, could this be a roo? I'm really unsure on this one..

Correct, it's a Red Naked Neck. Could be a cockerel, but there isn't enough comb and wattle for me to be 100% sure it is a cockerel.

Still not sure on these breeds - We have two white beauties and 3 red girls. Any ideas?

May be a White Plymouth Rock
Production Red.

Thank you for replying yet again!

We have managed to confuse our big black one with the older lorps a few times, she just kinds of blends in. I'll have to get a look my lorps feet again and compare..
I sure hope Gobbles the Naked Neck isn't a male, we already have 3. But only time will tell.

We will keep an eye on the brown girls and check for ear colors over the next several weeks, and will also update with more pictures at around 12 weeks, and then probably 20.

Also, am I correct in thinking Production Red is also called a Red Star?

Thank you for replying yet again!

We have managed to confuse our big black one with the older lorps a few times, she just kinds of blends in. I'll have to get a look my lorps feet again and compare..
I sure hope Gobbles the Naked Neck isn't a male, we already have 3. But only time will tell.

We will keep an eye on the brown girls and check for ear colors over the next several weeks, and will also update with more pictures at around 12 weeks, and then probably 20.

Also, am I correct in thinking Production Red is also called a Red Star?
Not quite, though the two breeds are very similar. Production Reds are basically a combination of red chicken breeds (usually Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshires, etc.) that lay tons of brown eggs. Production Reds are generally red with a few black feathers in various body sections.

Red Sex-links are a specific cross between two breeds that produce sex-linked (color sexable at hatch) chicks. They also are excellent brown egg layers. Red Sex-link hens have mostly red bodies with some white in their hackle (neck), wings, and tail.

Not quite, though the two breeds are very similar. Production Reds are basically a combination of red chicken breeds (usually Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshires, etc.) that lay tons of brown eggs. Production Reds are generally red with a few black feathers in various body sections.

Red Sex-links are a specific cross between two breeds that produce sex-linked (color sexable at hatch) chicks. They also are excellent brown egg layers. Red Sex-link hens have mostly red bodies with some white in their hackle (neck), wings, and tail.
X2

Both breeds are very good egg layers, just look a bit different.

I have some Red-Stars from Mcmurray that look just like yours, one of them started laying at around 19 weeks and will lay 5-6 days straight before taking a day off, love those birds. I got the Rainbow layer package and ended up with Red Stars, Cuckoo Marans, Easter Eggers, and Buff Orpingtons.

Thank you everyone for all the replies! I always learn something new when I'm on this site. So fun.
big_smile.png

Tomorrow is their 12 week birthday and we are pretty sure the weather isn't going to permit for pictures, so we went ahead and did them today.
Everyone was also dressed with a leg band and have their official names. =)

So here we go!

Tinkerbell and Rapunzel Breed is still a mystery to me..

Ariel, Anna and Sophia - Def am leaning towards Production red..? Also a guest appearance.. Predator the cat, held up by my oldest daughter. ( This cat was caught sleeping with them with they were in the brooder! )

Elsa, Nala and Mulan - No question on this breed.

Tiana - Lorp. BIIIIG GIRL

Private, Jasmine and Megara - Black stars?

Extra pictures of Private because she is redder than the other two.. There's no chance she is a he right? - Feathered a lot slower and is the runt still.

Gobbles - Naked Neck Turken... A bit pinker than the last time.. Still not sure if she is a he.

Melody, Belle and Amber. Leaning on Brown leghorn.. They have some red on their faces but those ears are still pretty white.

Thank you everyone for all the replies! I always learn something new when I'm on this site. So fun.
big_smile.png

Tomorrow is their 12 week birthday and we are pretty sure the weather isn't going to permit for pictures, so we went ahead and did them today.
Everyone was also dressed with a leg band and have their official names. =)

So here we go!

Tinkerbell and Rapunzel Breed is still a mystery to me.. I'm thinking White Leghorn pullets.

Ariel, Anna and Sophia - Def am leaning towards Production red..? Also a guest appearance.. Predator the cat, held up by my oldest daughter. ( This cat was caught sleeping with them with they were in the brooder! )Yes, they are Production Red pullets.

Elsa, Nala and Mulan - No question on this breed.Silver Spangled Hamburg pullets.

Tiana - Lorp. BIIIIG GIRL Nice big Australorp pullet.
smile.png

Private, Jasmine and Megara - Black stars? Black Stars (generally known as Black Sex-links). All are definitely pullets.

Gobbles - Naked Neck Turken... A bit pinker than the last time.. Still not sure if she is a he. Red Turken/Naked Neck. Thinking pullet for now.

Melody, Belle and Amber. Leaning on Brown leghorn.. They have some red on their faces but those ears are still pretty white.
Yes, probably Brown Leghorns. The two in back in the photos are pullets. The other bird (in front) is a cockerel.

Thank you for replying. I do hope none of them are males, but if they are then we will handle it. =)
May I ask why you think one is cockerel?

As it is we already have 3 roos, 2 lorps and a EE.
These are from a previous batch though, exactly 4 weeks apart from these girls.

Thank you for replying. I do hope none of them are males, but if they are then we will handle it. =)
May I ask why you think one is cockerel?

As it is we already have 3 roos, 2 lorps and a EE.
These are from a previous batch though, exactly 4 weeks apart from these girls.
Because of its coloring. Male and female Brown Leghorns (and Welsummers and other breeds/varieties with the Black Breasted Red color pattern) have much different color patterns.

This is what a female Light Brown Leghorn looks like:

BrLeghBtyF3.JPEG

And this is what a Light Brown Leghorn rooster looks like:

BrLegCock.JPEG

As you can see, female Light Brown birds have reddish breasts and brown stippled backs. Male Light Brown birds have black breasts and orange/gold feathers on their back and neck.

LL
In this photo of your birds, I can see that the hens in back have the reddish breasts and brownish back feathers that I would expect in female Light Brown birds, However, I can already see the black breast feathers characteristic of males coming in on the bird in front, and his hackle color is somewhat more vibrant and red. Therefore, I believe that the bird in front is a cockerel, but your other two are pullets.

Back
Top Bottom