New chicks first timer!!

Should I still try and pick them up and hold them or just leave them be?
Chickens are prey animals. From the looks of your brooder, you need to reach in over the top to pick them up. They may see that as threatening (think aerial predator). Because chickens are prey animals, they are naturally wary of anything trying to catch them.

How old are they? They look a little big for the brooder already. Crowding can cause aggressive behaviors toward other birds.

Oh ok, no the Front is made into 2 pieces the top flips up and the bottom flips down. So your saying I need to leave bottom up and reach from top? The B. Rocks are coming to me better every night but the white s are skitish! They are only 4 weeks old. They are almost fully featherded. Kind of stinks to because I just finished that brooder last week. But in the end I thought to keep it if i had a hen get sick on me?

Reach from lower not higher, looming tall over them and reaching down is scary.

My chicks love scrambled egg mixed with cottage cheese. I toss them tiny pieces then hold the rest in my hand so they have to come take it from me.

Oh ok, no the Front is made into 2 pieces the top flips up and the bottom flips down. So your saying I need to leave bottom up and reach from top? The B. Rocks are coming to me better every night but the white s are skitish! They are only 4 weeks old. They are almost fully featherded. Kind of stinks to because I just finished that brooder last week. But in the end I thought to keep it if i had a hen get sick on me?
I think that would make a great isolation pen in case you get a sick hen. I would reach in from the bottom, not the top.

I know I saw this somewhere but what is a good treat to get them to come closer>?
From what I've read, they love dried meal worms.

Should I still try and pick them up and hold them or just leave them be?
I would pick them up and carry them around a bit, find a comfortable place and just sit with them whilst stroking their neck feathers and gently massaging them, sounds stupid but they will enjoy it!
P.s how old are they?

Also approaching them from above can scare them, as they are inclined to think you are a bird of prey hunting them, not protecting them.

My 3 week olds love chopped up boiled eggs and mealworms. I feed from my hand so they have to come to me. They still bolt at times when I go in but they settle down and come to me.

Pick them up, put them on your lap, and feed them some treats by hand. They will get used to you. Also, if they are fully feathered, maybe move them into the coop. But keep a close eye on them to check if they are getting cold.

:welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here !

A must have for your poultry is a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit.1150128/)
It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Also, make sure your coop(s) have a proper amount of VENTILATION. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/) Your chickens will absolutely thank you for it!

One last thing, if you're into gardening, feel free to join this years SEED SWAP (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/seed-swap.1220129/)

Back
Top Bottom