New Chicks for a New Chicken Owner

jomoncon

Songster
10 Years
Sep 24, 2010
New Orleans, LA
I've been wanting chickens for years & I finally figured out a way to fit a coop & run into my backyard. DH & I have been working on converting an unused shed into a coop & were just about to start on the run. I went to a local feed store & picked out 8 lovely Rhode Island Red chicks that are about 10 days old. Wasn't really ready for them, so I had to get everything at the feed store. DH came up with a great idea for a brooder. We have a small, 2'x4', plastic folding table, and he suggested turning it upside down & putting chicken wire around it. The underside of the table is plastic, so I tie wrapped the chicken wire around it, and hung a heat lamp that we already had. This went into a spare bedroom. Lots of pine shavings & the tiny little feeder & water went in. I measured the temp with the heat lamp about 4' from the floor, and it was 110 degrees!! Moved it up to 6 feet & it went down to 105!! Scratch the heating bulb & put in a 75 watt flood light. Perfect temp of 95 degrees. In went the little darlings, and it was like they had no idea what was going on. They were introduced to the waterer and all had a big drink. Even ate a little bit.

I've been reading this forum for the past month or so, and I can't remember anyone mentioning this: These little things are messy!! Within an hour, 2' around the "brooder" was covered in pine shavings & feed. All the scratching & head shaking was just throwing things all over the place. So The bottom half of the brooder was wrapped with saran wrap. So far, so good. At least everything is staying inside now.

Here's how they looked last night after running around for a couple of hours. Totally worn out.
Chickens-10-10-27-029.jpg

Today was for all of the sweeties to get accustomed to me. At first, they would all run away went I came near. Now, after several small treats, especially worms, they come running when I enter the room. One of my dogs, a mixed terrier, was very interested in the chicks. She just wants to smell them & give them a lick. But I'm watching her carefully.
Chickens-10-10-28-035-1.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting brooder set up. Very creative. Being that they are 10 days old, you don't need it to be 95. They could be down to 90 or 85. When you lower the temp, just watch their behavior to see if they are huddling directly under the light and so on.

They're adorable.

Good luck:)

arent they fun! mine make me so happy. The puppy dog is watching your chicks just like mine does, except I don't think he wants to lick them, im pretty sure my dog wants to shake the daylights out of them and see if they squeek like his other fuzzy toys. He's being good though and is getting the idea that these are not his squeeky toys, they are mine
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom