New chicks Help?

chickanana

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 28, 2008
Kansas
My Broodys eggs are hatching, The Hen is sitting in the nest box and the other hens have access to it do we need to move mama and babies to an excluded area and do we need to have a light on mama and babies temp right now is about 50 day time, and around 30 night time. Temps will be dropping daily as winter sets in. I cant believe I am a chick mama hip hip hurray
ya.gif
jumpy.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
woot.gif

I always fenced off an area in the coop for the mom and babies with chicken wire just to be safe. Be sure, wherever you have them, that they are on the floor because the babies can and will fall out of a nest box and then die from the cold. I don't think a heat lamp is necessary as the mom should keep them warm. How many did she hatch? Oh, and congratulations!! It's exciting, isn't it?!!

Last edited:
We just peeked after we got off work and there was one already hatched that we seen but we put mama back pretty fast so we wouldnt disturb the rest of them, today is exactly 21 days , is it ok to move her to a new nest on the floor to night without her abandoning the babies?
lau.gif
This is so much fun
ya.gif

Gosh, that's hard to say because I always set my broody up before the eggs were to hatch. Anybody? I think I would fix up where she is now so that the chicks can't fall out and then wait for them all to hatch before moving her. You could attach some sort of barrier a couple of inches high - anything could be used: cardboard, wood, hardware cloth. Doesn't have to cover the whole nest box, just enough at the bottom to keep the babies from falling out. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom