new chicks help!

bexchennell

Hatching
6 Years
May 6, 2013
hey there, just wondering if anyone can help, my dads had around 6 baby chickens hatch this morning/ yesterday and im going to be having them, but was wondering at what age can they be taken fromthe mother?

I would assume immediately (or after one day) considering you can buy day-old chicks all over the place. Congrats on the new fuzzy butts
big_smile.png

o right o better get my dad on it to making my coop then, thought they might have to stay with the mother for a few weeks to start of with, there so small.

id love to show you pictures but there at my dads which is 25 miles away and the mothers very defensive of them at mo, she not letting anyone get a look in, my dads managed to get some chick crumb in for them but sofar hes got 4 bantams and 2 nornmal chickens we think!
smile.png

think i might leave them there for few weeks before trying to bring them to mine? do you think thats a good idea or should they be seperated sooner?

Well, the more you handle them and get them used to you the better they tend to be around you when they grow up. Though chicks that already started feathering still bonded with me pretty well so its kind of breed dependent also. I think you would be alright leaving them with mom until they get the first feathers.

thanks for all the advise unfortunally my dads had to remove the chicks away due to both the hen s fighting over them and killing 2! he still has 6 and has now made them there own pen with a light and food fingers crossed they will be ok now! x

Back
Top Bottom