new chicks insist on sitting in water???

Theapplechicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
We just got a new batch of chicks this past weekend and I've never had this happen and don't understand why they are doing this but they insist on sleeping in the food and sitting in the waterer. They then get soaking wet! I'm afraid they are gonna get sick or die. We've been taking the water dish out at night when we go to bed. Not sure what to do to get them to stop! any ideas?

I would sit the feeder/waterer on something to make it harder for them to get into. It will also make it easier for them to eat and drink. Good Luck with your babies!

You say "water dish." Do you not have a chick waterer? It is impossible for them to sit in it. They need to drink and eat in the night. You can buy a chick waterer base, which attaches to a quart canning jar or mayonnaise jar, for less than $3.

Putting clean marbles or stones in the dish, higher than the water but where they can still drink, might help them not get wet. I'd also agree that they need chick waterers and feeders.
smile.png

sorry, no it is a chick waterer. A small one, but my bantam chicks are definitely small enough to sit in it!

I have put it up on top of a pot base and also moved them to a much larger box. That has seemed to help some.

Back
Top Bottom