New Chicks! Okay to introduce one chick a week later?

Should third chick be a Buff Orpington or a Speckled Sussex?

• Buff Orpington

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Speckled Sussex

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

finallyinATX

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2017
Austin, TX
I am so excited! I FINALLY got my chicks! I have a Barred Rock and an Americauna which were born on 2/8. I bought them and brought them home on 2/13. On 2/17 I am going to get a Speckled Sussex chick. It will have been born sometime this week. Do you think it will be an issue introducing one chick to the other two chick 5 days apart?

By the way... I AM SO EXCITED! I have been wanting chickens for a long time and it's finally a reality!

I was choosing between a Buff Orpington and a Speckled Sussex. I think the Orpington is beautiful but the guy at the General Store says they get pretty big. Poll below!

In a small flock like yours, I don't think you can go wrong with a Speckled Sussex. I don't have any now (Hmmm, maybe I should remedy that.....) but I sure did like the ones I had! They looked like dappled sunshine out in the yard, and they were curious and friendly - always had to be right there to see what we were doing. They got along great with the others out there, which is always a bonus.

You can put them together. I did it all the time...adding a chick or two that were of different ages....as long as the difference in ages isn't too great. A week? Yeah, no problem!

welcome-byc.gif

I agree, they're young enough to all be put together with no issues. Just be sure you have plenty of space for everyone.

I agree, speckled Sussex are some of the more "eye candy" birds out there. And so friendly, nice backyard birds.

So I added the new baby Speckled Sussex to the crew yesterday and she just passed away in my hands.

The only thing I noticed yesterday was she had trouble keeping her balance when she would scratch or shake her head. I was gone today but my husband said he saw her chasing the other two chics around. When I got home I she was asleep and thought I'd give her a little attention so she slept in my hand for about an hour. I went to place her back in the brooder and I noticed she didn't wake up. I kept an eye on her and she was unresponsive to the other chicks too. I took her out of the brooder and it seemed like she was grasping for air and shaking her head. She wouldn't open her eyes either. I dipped the tip of her beak in the water but she just kept gasping and jerking. I rubbed her head gently and she finally stopped gasping and jerking, opened her eyes and then passed away.

Sounds like she may have had a blow/peck to the head that caused brain damage. Was she acting like that before you put her with the other chicks?

She was wobbly before I introduced to the other chics and I sat next to the brooder for hours to watch her. She was wobbly but not unresponsive and lethargic. I am not sure if being unbalanced is normal for a baby chick.

Back
Top Bottom