new chicks one with a problem

brock029

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Hello everyone new to the forum and new to back yard chicken keeping. We had chickens growing up and now I've finally talked my wife into getting some so we're starting with chicks so she can watch them grow. Any way we picked up six golden pullets today and one of them my wife kept saying had poop all over her butt. So I grabbed a paper towel and tried to wipe her clean but whatever it was was hard and stuck. And I tried to tug on it gently but nothing happened I'll try to get a picture up but does any one have a rough idea?

Pasty butt, sounds like what it is. It is when poop hardens around the vent and a chick can’t properly ‘go’. This is life threatening, but it is easy to cure. Moisten the rear end with warm (not hot) water, the pick at it with a tooth pick, cotton ball, or if all else falls, fingers. Gross, yes, effective, yes. Be sure to wash your hands VERY WELL after words!The chick will protest loudly, but it will be fine. Putting 1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to 1 gallon of water and giving that to the chicks will help keep away pasty butt, as well as small dose as plain yogurt. You might also try lowering the temperature a little bit, because overheating is one reason for pasty butt. *warning* Do not put ACV (apple cider vinegar) in a galvanized metal waterer- the acid will take the galvanize off the waterer and rot the water. This is bad for the chicks.

Thanks just soaking her in warm water cleared it right up and just a few wipes with a rag got rid of anything left. Now one more question her vent (I think that's the correct term : D) is red and swollen and slightly protruding is this normal?

Back
Top Bottom