New chicks ? regarding Marek's with and older flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Matthewob, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Matthewob

Matthewob New Egg

Aug 13, 2009
    Hi All,
    I've been a passive observer of BYC for the last 2 years as I have introduced a backyard flock to my wife and sons. My first flock was great. We had them for a few years and then gave them to my cousin who has a farm and a large flock where they can live long into there decreasing egg laying years! I got new chicks last year from My Pet Chicken and all were vaccinated for Marek's. After about 12 weeks one of them died. Then a few weeks later another died. I sent the second one off to UC Davis and they reported Marek's disease as the culprit. Then 2 months later another died and confirmed at Davis - Mareks again.

So now I am getting a few more this spring ( due to arrive April 30th) to replace the dead ones. All will be vaccinated but how long do I need to keep the new chicks quarantined from the older birds to ensure good antibody protection? Also what is the best disinfectant to use to spray on all of my feeders and waterers and brooder cages. I want to make sure I everything I use with the new chicks is clean of Marek's viruses.

Thanks in advance,
    Matthew

2. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    That is HORRIBLE! Sorry I have nothing much to offer as far as good information. Maybe my post will bring your's back up and others with more experience can chime in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by