New chicks - Some have problems...

Hmmm looks kinda deformed to me, but I can’t tell any better. Would it be possible to get a video of the chick trying to move? You’d have to post to YouTube or Vimeo or one of those sites, and link it here.

These were some instructions that I wrote up for someone else. You may try it before euthanizing, just to see if it helps. I don’t think it could hurt, unless you figure out the bone is broken. Then I wouldn’t try it.

Kinda looks like the hip is displaced. Can you bend the leg manually? Does it move at the hip joint?

Here's what I would try if it were mine. Hold your left hand out, palm up, fingers toward the right, in front of your chest. Lay the chick's belly in your left hand, feet pointing back toward your body, overhanging your pinky finger/palm. Grasp the feet and legs between your right thumb and forefinger. Slowly lower your left hand (kinda bowling ball or lawn-dart starting motion) and let the bird dangle for just a few seconds. Twist your wrist outward, and the bird's reaction should be to lift its head/chest/body upward toward your hand. (keep your hand under, but not touching, and don't drop her! lol) When it does, you can re-grab the body. This will sometimes "reset" a slipped hip or knee joint. It won't hurt the bird, and I would think its worth a try.

We ended up euthanizing the poor chick that had the more extreme leg issue. It was more lethargic, not opening its eyes, and appeared to have some oozing around the joints (maybe due to the bone poking through that my tween could see, but I could not).

The others we have given Nutri Drench, water, and electrolyte water. We put foot "splints" made with vet wrap on the chick with crooked feet and put a brace on two of the chicks that appeared to have spraddle/splay leg. The one with crooked toes is still having some issues walking very well, even with the vet wrap which provides good traction, so we will see how it does over the next 24 hours. We put them all into the 3x6 brooder with a large heat plate, several water stations, 1 electrolyte station and 3 feed stations. We lined it with puppy pads for these next couple of days. So far, so good.

Sorry about the chick!:hugs:hugs that was the white chantaler:(

Thanks.

I do wonder if it was the white Chantecler, but it looks like the beginnings of a regular comb, and dark lines under its eyes which don't match any pics of a Chantecler chick, so I'm hoping it's not the Chantecler, but won't know till we get more feathers all around. It might be an Erminette chick.

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 6.23.57 PM.png

ohh... I thought you said that white Chantaler was the only white bird you ordered... Sorry
Technically it is the only white bird we ordered. But, many chicks start out white and the Erminettes are white with black as adults. However, time will tell which one we had to cull - I'm not completely sure which one it was!

Although I also did some research on this and a few other places, I'm not sure I would try to compare them to the large hatcheries you mention. Their basic goals seems somewhat different from a large hatchery.
You're right. Imho, you cannot compare SH to a large hatchery, different operation and mission.

Update: Everyone is doing great! Only lost the one chick with severe leg problems.

The crooked toes (that seriously looked broken), are totally and completely normal!

The couple of pecked beaks (a bit bloody) are all healed!

The two with mild splay legs were hobbled and after 2 days are all fine, no mobility issues and legs are under the bodies and they are running around!

The couple of eyes that we weren't sure if they were pecked, or abnormal, all seem fine! Of course, I cant say that we've checked all 27 sets of both eyes for the specific purpose of making sure they are all ok, but haven't noticed any problems with the ones we've managed to catch an hold.

Lethargic ones are fine - everyone is running, climbing, finding the heat plate and eating. We gave all NutriDrench when they arrived, and any lethargic ones got 1-2 more doses. Personality wise, it looks like some are just not quite as jumpy or energetic as others, but they look fine, and not lethargic!

Only 2 have had poopy butt today, so we will keep an eye on them for that.

Overall, I'm glad to see that the 27 chicks are doing well.

In a few weeks I'll be on the "Breed and Gender" forum to ask which are boys and which are girls as these are straight run!

I’ve done some research on the hatchery, and in all honesty I would be leery to use them. Yes, it is a small, family owned operation (or so it seems) with fairly cheap prices for chicks, but their poultry they advertise does not have anything to show/prove their quality or health as some of the larger, more renowned hatcheries such as Ideal Poultry, McMurray Hatchery, Metzer Farms, etc.

Don’t think that I am going against the hatchery in any way as there could have been complications with this hatch beyond the control of the hatchery, but just remember what I said when ordering birds — know the quality before getting the quantity.

Good luck with your new baby chicks!!

Thanks.

I do wonder if it was the white Chantecler, but it looks like the beginnings of a regular comb, and dark lines under its eyes which don't match any pics of a Chantecler chick, so I'm hoping it's not the Chantecler, but won't know till we get more feathers all around. It might be an Erminette chick.

View attachment 1759735
ohh... I thought you said that white Chantaler was the only white bird you ordered... Sorry

Back
Top Bottom