New chicks - Some have problems...

Acre4Me

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
We just received our chick order via USPS. Paid for Express and they arrived here only 19 hours after the PO received them!

28 chicks (Straight Run):
4 Blue Copper Maran
3 Black Copper Maran
2 Blue Ameraucana
3 Creme Legbar
1 White Chantecler
5 Erminette
4 Gold Laced Wyandotte
2 Red Cap
2 Rose Comb Rhode Island Red
2 Salmon Faverolle

One looks like it has severe leg problems, pictures follow. Maybe slipped tendons? Tween thinks there is bone showing, but I am not seeing that, but by no means am I experienced with diagnosis. Sadly, I think we may have to euthanize it - but please offer opinions. We've put it in a cozy, fleece lined small box and given it water and nutri drench, so that it is comfortable as possible. I'm worried it is the only Chantecler, which was one of the breeds we were looking forward to in this shipment. I really hope it is not the Chantecler!

One has splay legs, so am going to try the rubber band with piece of straw between. Hard to find an appropriate sized rubber band, even when knotting it in the middle.

One has either sever crooked toes or broken toes. I didn't take a picture, but we did use blue painters tape to sandwich the feet (individually) into the correct position. I'm not sure how long to leave the tape on, but it appears the chick can walk with the tape on feet.

A couple look like they have eye problems - maybe they got pecked, so we will give them a chance to see how their eyes improve or not. But one looks like maybe eye is not correctly developed.

One has a bit of blood on beak, nostril area -hoping just pecked.

Several were lethargic, or would walk backwards - almost like they were surprised, and couldn't control moving forward or backward. We have given all of them Nutridrench, followed by water, so maybe will help.

Here are some pics. We tried to group them into what we thought were the breeds, but I'm pretty sure we didn't get them all right.

The sickest little chick (any idea which breed from my list?) - definite mobility /leg issues
Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 12.58.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 12.58.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 12.59.27 PM.png

The rest of them - tried to group them, but I don't think we got all the breeds grouped correctly. However, we did group feathered legs with other feathered legs and we think we got both 5 toed Faverolles together.
Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 1.03.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 1.03.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 1.01.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 1.02.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 1.02.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 1.02.52 PM.png

All together (We put any lethargic ones, and the one with splay legs and crooked toes in the fleece lined box.

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 1.08.10 PM.png

I’ve done some research on the hatchery, and in all honesty I would be leery to use them. Yes, it is a small, family owned operation (or so it seems) with fairly cheap prices for chicks, but their poultry they advertise does not have anything to show/prove their quality or health as some of the larger, more renowned hatcheries such as Ideal Poultry, McMurray Hatchery, Metzer Farms, etc.

Don’t think that I am going against the hatchery in any way as there could have been complications with this hatch beyond the control of the hatchery, but just remember what I said when ordering birds — know the quality before getting the quantity.

Good luck with your new baby chicks!!

Although I also did some research on this and a few other places, I'm not sure I would try to compare them to the large hatcheries you mention. Their basic goals seems somewhat different from a large hatchery. As for health - they are NPIP certified, like any hatchery of any size seems to be. Not a guarantee of overall health by any means, as genetics plays a role in addition to contagious illness. As for quality, I can't say as the chicks have to grow up in order to see what they are like according to breed standards. However, there is a hatchery that I've seen mentioned on BYC that sells chicks for $$$ and gives the impression of very high genetic quality, but as other BYCers that have purchased from that other hatchery will point out to those thinking of purchasing the $$$chicks from that particular place, the fine print indicates that the chicks can be of widely varying quality....and seems many have been disappointed in the quality from that particular hatchery given the advertisement and high cost.

We have purchased some chicks from an OH hatchery for a very good price and have gotten some lovely quality (according to APA standards) birds - of the ones they advertise as "exhibition quality", whereas the other breeds we've gotten from them (not listed as EQ) have been more variable in size and feather patterning, and not the best examples of the breed. We purchased some random chicks from the "extra" bin at a large OH hatchery and one of them is a breed that they sell for over $50 per chick (yikes!!), and several others breeds sold for somewhat higher prices. Of the seven chicks we got, only two were really nice examples of their breeds, so I think that there is wide variation when hatching the many hundreds that a hatchery hatches.

For us, this will give us some experience in some new breeds, and we are looking forward to that, and we were able to get some harder to find breeds at a reasonable cost. So, time will tell as to whether we have gotten some decent quality chickens or not.

Thanks @Wyorp Rock !

Oh...where is your heat source, I don't see one?

They are in our house right now getting checked over, given NutriDrench and water, making sure they drink, then put into the plastic bin. We will transport to the brooder in the barn with a heat plate.

Now that they have had ND, many are quite perky, walking/running/ eating crumbles.

Now...let's look at that baby with the swelling on the joint you posted. What does that lump feel like? Is it hard or fluid filled? Do both legs look the same way or just the one?

It is hard, almost sharp, like the little bones are about to bust through the skin. Both are the same, although the area you circled is only on one side, but both have the same problem, and neither leg seems better than the other. We are keeping it as comfortable as possible, and giving it drinks every 30 min. It is wrapped in fleece inside the darkened and ventilated shipping box, to keep it from tumbling over all the time.

Thanks @Wyorp Rock !
It is hard, almost sharp, like the little bones are about to bust through the skin. Both are the same, although the area you circled is only on one side, but both have the same problem, and neither leg seems better than the other. We are keeping it as comfortable as possible, and giving it drinks every 30 min. It is wrapped in fleece inside the darkened and ventilated shipping box, to keep it from tumbling over all the time.
I'm glad that they are perking up!

The one with the major leg problem, I'm just not sure what that is. Could be slipped tendon. Does the chick indicate pain if you extend the leg?
@WVduckchick may want to chime in about those legs.

I'm glad that they are perking up!

The one with the major leg problem, I'm just not sure what that is. Could be slipped tendon. Does the chick indicate pain if you extend the leg?
@WVduckchick may want to chime in about those legs.
We wondered if slipped tendon too. But, I'm not experienced with the various problems in chicks. I also posted in the emergency forum with pics of only this one chick.

We wondered if slipped tendon too. But, I'm not experienced with the various problems in chicks. I also posted in the emergency forum with pics of only this one chick.
Well, it's really not something I would say looks like slipped tendon, but it would be good to have others chime in.

We ended up euthanizing the poor chick that had the more extreme leg issue. It was more lethargic, not opening its eyes, and appeared to have some oozing around the joints (maybe due to the bone poking through that my tween could see, but I could not).

The others we have given Nutri Drench, water, and electrolyte water. We put foot "splints" made with vet wrap on the chick with crooked feet and put a brace on two of the chicks that appeared to have spraddle/splay leg. The one with crooked toes is still having some issues walking very well, even with the vet wrap which provides good traction, so we will see how it does over the next 24 hours. We put them all into the 3x6 brooder with a large heat plate, several water stations, 1 electrolyte station and 3 feed stations. We lined it with puppy pads for these next couple of days. So far, so good.
I'm sorry to hear about the chick:hugs

I hope the rest start to improve.

One looks like it has severe leg problems, pictures follow. Maybe slipped tendons? Tween thinks there is bone showing, but I am not seeing that,

One has splay legs, so am going to try the rubber band with piece of straw between. Hard to find an appropriate sized rubber band, even when knotting it in the middle.

One has either sever crooked toes or broken toes. I didn't take a picture, but we did use blue painters tape to sandwich the feet (individually) into the correct position. I'm not sure how long to leave the tape on, but it appears the chick can walk with the tape on feet.

A couple look like they have eye problems - maybe they got pecked, so we will give them a chance to see how their eyes improve or not. But one looks like maybe eye is not correctly developed.

One has a bit of blood on beak, nostril area -hoping just pecked.

Several were lethargic, or would walk backwards - almost like they were surprised, and couldn't control moving forward or backward. We have given all of them Nutridrench,

Congratulations on your babies! Cute chicks:)

I'm sorry that you have some problems.
Where did these chicks come from?

I would give them all some PND. 1-2 drops 2 times a day. In addition to that I would get some B-Complex and add that to their feed. OR for the ones with leg issues, try to get 1/4 tablet into each one of them. I do think all would benefit from a little extra B vitamins for a few days though since you are having problems. (PND does not contain B2(Riboflavin).

Now...let's look at that baby with the swelling on the joint you posted. What does that lump feel like? Is it hard or fluid filled? Do both legs look the same way or just the one?

For splay/spraddle leg, you may have better luck using vet wrap instead of a rubber band. The chickenchick has some good photos of that https://the-chicken-chick.com/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it/ The problem with a rubber band or even hair tie, sometimes the narrowness of it cuts into those tender legs, with vet wrap it seems a little more gentle.

Eye problems - if they act like they can see, have no discharge or crust, then I would just watch those babies to see how they develop.

Sounds like you have a handle on the crooked toes. Taping may help, it depends on the cause. Crooked toes can be genetic, improper incubation and possible vitamin deficiency. B2 and the PND may help with that. If the tape is difficult to get off or it looks like it might damage delicate skin, apply some type of oil - baby/mineral oil and rub into and under the tape to help it loosen.

Blood on the nostril - I'd just watch that, likely got pecked. Chicks are exploratory so they do peck at eyes, nostrils, toes and butts.

Hopefully the lethargy, walking backwards, etc. is due to shipping stress and the PND will help with that. Try to encourage everyone to drink, then eat.

If I missed something...let me know! I think I got all of them.

Oh...where is your heat source, I don't see one?

upload_2019-5-1_13-30-31.png

I'm sorry that you have some problems.
Where did these chicks come from?

Sandhill Preservation. It was only their second hatch of the year, after a small first hatch. I've read that the first few hatches can sometimes come with more problems, so that may be what is going on. The other chicks we got in Feb (different hatchery) were from that very first hatch of the year for that hatchery, and a couple of those seemed a bit weak, and smaller - and might not have made it without our extra Nutridrench and electrolyte water, along with momma hen attentions and warmth. Now, those chicks are doing great and nicely integrated into the flock.

This time, no broody momma hen to help out!

Back
Top Bottom