New chicks what are they silkies or Cochins?

It would be considered a silkie/bantam Cochin mix :D . there's no name or designation for a mixed breed like that. It's not a sizzle, it's just a mix. 

Mine came out lightly crested, 4 or 5 toes (but one of my silkie hens only has 4 toes on one foot), feather legged, very rounded and fluffy but with regular feathers. Very cute and personable. 

Do you have any pictures of yours!?

Here's some more pictures! Pretty sure my little solid light one is a silkie and the other two yellow ones with the chipmunk marks look almost exactly the same then the brown one is totally different he has a little tail and much longer wings...what does that indicate?

It would be considered a silkie/bantam Cochin mix :D . there's no name or designation for a mixed breed like that. It's not a sizzle, it's just a mix. 

Mine came out lightly crested, 4 or 5 toes (but one of my silkie hens only has 4 toes on one foot), feather legged, very rounded and fluffy but with regular feathers. Very cute and personable. 

Here's some new pics any idea if they are pullets or cockerels yet?!

The white Silkie looks pure the other ones like Silkie mixes maybe with Easter Egger. No idea on genders yet.

Thanks for the reply!
I'm really having a hard time deciding when to move them outside since it's so close to winter I'm thinking I should now or soon so it won't be such a climate change for them. This week the high is from 45-72 and low ranging from 27-50 I'm in southern Indiana. I was thinking maybe for the first week or so doing the coop during the day and brining them back into the garage at night?! Or when should I move them outside?

I'm also really worried about using a heat lamp in coop since my coop is pretty tiny the coop part is around 4'x3' and 3' tall. It's this one from tractor supply http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/precision-pet-orb-country-classic-coop
And we are building at 6'x3.5' run off of it (is that large enough for 4 small chickens?) The coop is small on the inside having a lamp in there worries me but I also know since my chicks are so small they probably can't handle the cold as well. Advice please!!!

I've heard that you can move chicks outside when they are fully feathered so now would be a good time. I also read that its better for chickens to not get used to heat lamps in the winter, I forgot why..when I had chickens they free ranged the back yard and went into their coop at night so I'm not sure what size a run should be.

Back
Top Bottom