New chicks

tsnuttall

Chirping
Sep 27, 2019
I have 4 chicks that are 11 days old, I expect another 3 to hatch in 3 days, would it be safe to add them to the brooder with the older chicks? If not I need to set up another brooder. Also, my 11 day old ones seem to be quite comfortable without going under the heater plate (I have it raised from the beginning, so they have more room), can I just use a reptile heater for the older chicks and the heat plate for the newborns?

I would slowly add the new ones because the older ones will pick on them. I would put a barrier between them so they can see each other but they cannot peck on each other.

You can't just add them in because it will cause a lot of pecking. Little chicks are curious about everything and will peck eyes or whatever is peckable on a new chick.

Yes, you can use the reptile heater if it's suitable for them. Make sure you test it first.

That's what I figured, my 11 day old one's probably need a bigger area now anyhow, thinking my dog crate, if they can't escape from it. They are sooo messy, holy moly, this was fun, but think I won't do this again for a while. :)

I would slowly add the new ones because the older ones will pick on them. I would put a barrier between them so they can see each other but they cannot peck on each other.

You can't just add them in because it will cause a lot of pecking. Little chicks are curious about everything and will peck eyes or whatever is peckable on a new chick.

Yes, you can use the reptile heater if it's suitable for them. Make sure you test it first.
I plan on putting them in separate brooder now. That’s why I bought the reptile lamp, for the older ones. Thanks!

Sounds like you have decided what to do with the heat. It sounds like they are inside your house. I don't know what the temperature it is where they are but go by what you see. If they act like they don't need heat they probably don't. If they get cold you will start to hear plaintive peeps. That's a heart-rending peep where you recognize something is wrong. If you move them to another location, how warm is it there?

Some people are able to put chicks two weeks apart in age in the same brooder without any issues. Sometimes chicks can die if you try that. It sounds like that brooder is already getting small for your 4 chicks. They are going to keep growing, that brooder will just keep getting more crowded. The more crowded they are the more risk there is. I don't know how long you plan on keeping them inside before they go to the coop, that will have a lot of influence on whether that dog crate is big enough or not as they grow.

Sounds like you have decided what to do with the heat. It sounds like they are inside your house. I don't know what the temperature it is where they are but go by what you see. If they act like they don't need heat they probably don't. If they get cold you will start to hear plaintive peeps. That's a heart-rending peep where you recognize something is wrong. If you move them to another location, how warm is it there?

Some people are able to put chicks two weeks apart in age in the same brooder without any issues. Sometimes chicks can die if you try that. It sounds like that brooder is already getting small for your 4 chicks. They are going to keep growing, that brooder will just keep getting more crowded. The more crowded they are the more risk there is. I don't know how long you plan on keeping them inside before they go to the coop, that will have a lot of influence on whether that dog crate is big enough or not as they grow.
Right now it’s 40/60. But in SE Ga, it can be 80 next week. Our winters are so sporadic. Today high of 61. Next week will be mid to high 70s. Yes they are in the house, I plan on putting babies in the brooder the older ones are in and make a bigger area for them. The sooner I can get them outside in their own coop, the happier we will all be. I will introduce them a little later, after they get used to each other through their respective homes. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom