New Chicks!

doublenegative

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
Well they were hatched on Sunday and shipped Monday we thought. But at 6 this morning they were at the post office. Apparently Mt Healthy doesn't play around. 26 chicks in good shape.

Does anyone know what breeds are yellow as chicks versus the darker colors? we have about 10 dark and 15 yellow. I assume multiple breeds have each coloration as chicks, but do certain breeds only have the darker coloration? We got the assorted lot and now get to wait and see what all we got!
chicks2.jpg

They are all brown egg layer pullets. So we aren't too worried. They delayed the order to put in certain breeds when we ordered originally so they would lay better they said, and per their website the only one backordered that long was RIR, so I would think some are from those. I was just curious is dark colored chicks were only for certain breeds really (BA, BR or something like that).

Otherwise I don't mind what I get. Like I told my wife, if there is one that is mean, or we don't want we can eat it without feeling too bad. I wanted a sample though to get the feel of lots of different personalities and characteristics hopefully.

Just to follow up, they are actually black sex-linked (or black star I believe) a white rocks. Unfortunately one of the Black ones died two days in, and another had a pretty bad birth defect (issues walking, head cocked to one side all the time) and died this morning. But the rest seem to be doing well and we plan on moving them to pine shavings shortly because the paper towels are a mess (and thats changing them twice a day still)

Last edited:
Congrats, I love Mt healthy infact I drove last month up there and got my chicks, they all look happy and healthy too, I think the black one are black australop, the yellow I have no Idea, they might be golden commet. But they are beautiful.

Omran

Quote:
They would not be leghorns because it's a brown egg layer assortment. I would guess white rocks and probably black australorp, but only because that is the most black chick I can think of that is a brown egg layer, other than sex links perhaps...

I think barred rocks and black giants have a lot more white on them.

So yeah I guess BA's or Black sex links.

Back
Top Bottom