new chicks

Bamagal

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 12, 2007
Alabama
We bought 4 baby chicks from the feed store this morning.
I have them in a big box near the fire place for warmth tonight. They are sleeping & cosy. Here is the question...
We have a coop & it's full of hens & one rooster. Our hen have never hatched the eggs, as we keep our family and friends in eggs.
Will our rooster or the hens kill the chicks if we put them in the coop? We have never had chicks with then and I am afraid to let the chicks in with them till they are older. Need answers!!!
Thanks,
Bamagal

You will want to keep them in the brooder for a while. I would be afraid that the Roo might hurt them...or maybe even a hen. Just keep them warm...plenty water and feed...for at LEAST 8 to 10 weeks. Then be very carefull of introduceing them to the older chickens. If possible...put them in a large dog crate for a few days, inside the coop. Let them talk to the others safely! Besides.....you dont want to possible introduce an illness to the older ones.

Thank you,
I plan to set a place away from the older ones tomorrow. We have a lamp and part of the hen house set aside for chicks. I had to save the chicks from a sure death. Brought them home & have them in a nice big box with soft hay, food and water. They are snug & warm. I just was not sure if my older ones would hurt them. Never had chicks to deal with.
Thanks again,
Bamagal

Back
Top Bottom