New Chicks

Barb03

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 28, 2009
I have never raised chicks before, always bought them when ready to lay. Now I have 12- 6 day old Buff Bramas. Cute, cute, cute! But my question is most of them have poop stuck on their butts. Should I try & remove it or just leave it alone. I am afraid they won't be able to poop past the big clump and then die. Is this normal? Thanks for any help I can get.

Yes, you need to clean the poop off their little butts.... I usually use a wet Q-tip or wet papertowel; sometimes the clump will need to be cut off... be careful. Some folks put a little Vaseline on after cleaning to keep future poop from sticking as much. Good luck with your babies and Congrats!!

What you are describing sounds like a condition called pasty butt and yes, they CAN die of it in extreme cases. If you do a search of the forum for "pasty butt" you should find plenty of references to it, for more information and tips on both cleaning it and preventing it recurring.

Most learn to poop after a week or so. Check often as it is their only way to eliminate. Could cause death, so keep vent open. Some put a little...very little(do a search for chicks) of ACV, that is apple cider vinegar, That has 'Mother" . I use Bragg organic brand in the health food section. Bottom line (oh sorry) is they will learn to poop, squat and shake their boodie. Just keep an eye on the vent, making sure it is clean, moist and poop free... Have fun
gig.gif

Haha the funniest post I ever found was...
lau.gif
that someone took off the clump and the little chick immediately squirted poo out the backend
ep.gif
and they were asking if that was normal
gig.gif

EDIT: On a more serious note What should I do if I work 8 hours a day?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom