New coop ... Added CHICKENS! Conversion PICS on pgs 2, 4, 5, 7 & 9

thumbsup.gif
Love it!

Thanks guys! Yes, there are 5 coops already back there in the "chicken forest". hehe 1 of them is a double pen and one of them is a triple pen. The 12 X 16 Orp house also has a nursery in it. This one will be a quad pen.

We made some progress today and got the 4 separator walls up. Here are some pics of today's completed pieces.

1st half done..
100_5664.jpg

2nd half done...
100_5667.jpg

And a view from thru the garage door...
100_5666.jpg

We decided to make the last pen (at the garage door) a little smaller to leave extra room in the corner.

Jody

Jody, that is so nice and spacious!!!!! It must still have that "new" smell. All I can say is wow!
Are you going to run chicken wire on the floor? Or is the gravel enough protection?

Oh, It looks great!!!!
clap.gif
You guys work fast. I'm sooo jealous! I can't wait to have a bigger building. What are the deminsions of the divided coops on the inside? Yes, keep the pictures coming.

have you considered a rubberized spray-on paint for the flooring? they make some stuff like rhynoliner that is used at zoos and wildlife sanctuaries for that reason. You have a VERY NICE coop, I'm glad to see someone really investing the time/money/energy and doing it right from the ground up
smile.png

Thanks so much for watching our progress and inquiring with questions. These help us to think thru this as well.

The actual pen sizes are as follows (now that we have the walls in: 3 of them are 5 1/3 foot by 9 ft. The smaller one is 5 1/3 ft X 8 ft. We kept a walkway in the front of all of the pens, so we can enter each one individually and walk through with a wheelbarrow for cleaning. The extra space at the garage door will be used to store supplies (bedding, etc). I think this setup will be nice because we can open the front doors and the garage door on nice days for ventilation as well.

We figured the space for each can hold about 5-6 birds per pen, based on about 8 sq ft per bird. Since araucana are a smaller large fowl breed, this should work out nice.

As for the floor, it is 3/4 inch plywood and built to hold a car. We do not plan to add anything and will use it as is. When we convert it back to a garage, we can always replace it if necessary.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom