New coop, already expanding. Need suggestions!

goldie1234

Chirping
Jul 15, 2015
Here is my coop! It's 24 feet by 8 feet total. I am in Georgia and do not shut the hutch door at night. I consider it more of an open air coop. It has hardware cloth buried under the entire thing. The hutch is 4x8.
I am having an additional 8 feet added to the back with a second elevated hutch also 4x8. The addition will have the ability to separate or all one open area with a hutch on each end.
The front is a storage area. I do free range. The current chick go in the hutch but roost at night in the open air area.
Any suggestions would be great!
Excuse the vultures! It was the only pic I had! We will be landscaping when it's all done. We have added water since the pic!

Last edited:
My only though was I think I see chicken wire, which around here degrades pretty quickly and fall apart in a couple of years, otherwise I don't see anything else.

It has hardware cloth on the bottom and chicken wire on the top. The extension will be all hardware cloth. I plan on replacing the upper at some point! It could use additional roosts. Like a chicken ladder. I'm just not sure where to add vs something that can be moved around! Hardware cloth is ok right?
Thank you!

My only though was I think I see chicken wire, which around here degrades pretty quickly and fall apart in a couple of years, otherwise I don't see anything else.

Yeah, I see what appears to be hardware cloth on the lower section and that is good, only chicken wire up top is a problem... You say you keep the coop door open and some birds roost outdoors, that chicken wire won't stop most predators... Racoons, bobcats and just about any K9 can easily tear through it while weasels can squeeze through it...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom