New coop and no eggs. Soooo Frustrated!!! Finally laying again.

Many people have egg production dropping at this time of year. It's very possible they are going through a molt too. Add the colder temps. and the shorter days... So at least you know it's not just you. I'd give a go of adding a small heat lamp w/red bulb if the temps. are cold there (and I'd think they were based on your location)....aimed toward the roosts. Maybe warmer, happier chickens will produce more eggs (unless they are molting...have you noticed feathers laying about?). Hang in there...spring will be here eventually.

That is a very lovely coop! I like the tarp cleaning methid, a very good idea there! Your hens will lay again full force in the spring. Mine have all but 1 quit for the freezing weather, and are even moulting in this dreadful cold snap!! They look pitiful but are scratching around, I gave them carrot peelings a bit ago.

Quote:

It dropped to mid teens here a few nights back and the following two nights was in mid to low 20's. My egg count never changed. Am getting 14 - 17 a day from 24 pullets of 6 months age. I have RIR, BC, BR, BA. All are supposed to be good winter-layers and seems they are so far. ( No lights and no heat or insulation. Absolutely no drafts tho as all ventilation is overhead unless I open a window.)

Could it be that the combination of wintertime and adjusting to new surroundings has done this?

From my short time being a chicken farmer (we got our girls in September - our flock ranges from 5 months to 8 months. My 8 month old gold laced wyandotte, Beatrice, laid for a full month every other day, religiously and with the onset of cold weather and shorter days, went on strike - My RIR 7 month, Blanche, started laying about 3 weeks ago and lays 5-6 times a week.

EVERYONE else are freeloaders. My question is that one of my Ameraucanas Mildred, now 8 months very red rose comb, my 8 month Welsummer, Wilma and my 7 month Cuckoo Maran are all very bright red, but I don't believe are laying. We added some light so they are getting about 11 hours now.

Tell me if I'm correct in my assumption....They mature but becuase of the shorter days and cold they won't really start laying till longer days???? If that's correct WHEN IS THAT GOING TO BE???
smile.png

Last edited:
I have 22 hens and only 7 are laying. The weather has alot ot do with it
and molting also. I wouldnt kill chickens because they are not laying every
day. Thats not how it works. I ordered 2 batches of girls..one batch in early
early spring and then another batch in early summer...when one set of girls
are not laying the others are...your best bet is to raise a few more girls and
add them in with the older girls when they are the same size.

Good news. Adding the light and timer seems to be having a positive effect. My BO has given me a egg a day for the last three days. At least 1 of my 4 girls is pulling her own.

The shorter days cause the chickens to lay less or stop laying. It probably has something to do with evolution. Its probably a lot harder to find food and conserve energy in the cold, so the body discontinues extra outlays of energy. Also, if they were hatching these eggs, winter would not be the best time. No protection from predators, hard to keep babies alive with the cold and diminished food sources. We have domesticated them, but they are still biological entities.

Quote:
I would lay an egg in that coop!
thumbsup.gif
My girls are having to 'make do' with a Puppy play pen on the porch! So far I only have some goodies from dumpster dives saved up for a coop
gig.gif

Sounds like they want a more privete place. Why not put a board at the top of the nest boxes to close them up some. They seem way to open and exposed. My hens always look for a hidden spot though I have some that do not care. Your do so best thing to do is make nest boxes less open in front. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom