New Coop and run finished

I used your 75" and assumed that the coop is square. If one multiplies 75 by 4 for all the walls and then multiplies that by 1.5 you will get 3.125 square feet of ventilation.

The rule of thumb for ventilation is 1 square feet per bird, 24/7 but most important when they roost. Your roost will accommodate 6 birds, your coop will accommodate 9-10 although the run would be too smal for that number. I see you have four birds.

I suggest that you consider adding additional ventilation.

"[Kansas] has plenty of raccoons, armadillos, skunks, badgers, minks, foxes, rabbits, hares, snakes, and bats." Mink are able to get through a 1" square opening and generally can evade dogs.
I appreciate your advice. The total run is 14 ft long and 7 ft wide. There are 6 vent holes in the back and 6 in the front measuring 1 1/2 inch by 10 inches each. I have also built a reinforced screen door that always stays open and can be removed in the winter time. I have predator proofed this coop to the max.i dug a trench around the perimeter of the coop/run and ran the chicken wire below the coop/run and filled the trench with 16 inch bricks and river gravel. I will probably add more ventilation holes by winter that can be opened and closed from the outside.

I appreciate your advice. The total run is 14 ft long and 7 ft wide. There are 6 vent holes in the back and 6 in the front measuring 1 1/2 inch by 10 inches each. I have also built a reinforced screen door that always stays open and can be removed in the winter time. I have predator proofed this coop to the max.i dug a trench around the perimeter of the coop/run and ran the chicken wire below the coop/run and filled the trench with 16 inch bricks and river gravel. I will probably add more ventilation holes by winter that can be opened and closed from the outside.

Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom