New Coop Build: Do I need to block this space off?

AnnPann

Songster
Jun 29, 2022
Kansas
Working on a new coop and need to make a decision on an area before I continue. Once I close off this area, it makes it much harder to work on the area in question.

The coop is elevated and enclosed in a predator proof, covered run. The original plan I'm working off of calls for a HWC ceiling over the coop and run. I thought that was a waste of space, lumber and HWC, so instead I closed off the exterior areas under the roof. It was more tedious to work with the small cuts of HWC, but I like the way it turned out. Doing it this way also prevents wild birds from hanging out under the roof/above the coop/run and pooping on my chickens.

However, because there is no "ceiling" over the coop section now, there's a gap between the top of the front coop wall and the ceiling, and I can't decide if it's an issue.

The photos show the framing - no coop walls or floor yet. Red = coop walls. Blue = coop floor. Green = area in question. Obviously the back wall would be covered, but if I shaded red you wouldn't be able to see the interior markings.

From inside the run, facing the coop.
IMG_9278.jpg

From back/outside the run, looking towards the inside of the coop.
IMG_9275.jpg

It's 40" from the coop floor to the top of the coop wall.

The roosting bar will be about 20" above the coop floor or so.

If a hen were to reach the top of the coop wall, there's 16" of space between the coop wall and the roof. The rafters are about 30" apart.

There's a 6-7' drop from the top of the coop wall to the floor of the run (if they were to fly up from inside the coop and then down from the coop wall to the run floor).
Should I find a way to block access to the vertical space between the top of the coop wall and the roof?
Or am I overthinking it? If needed, I would use something like chicken wire, HWC, bird netting, etc (to preserve ventilation). If I need to, I would either put a "ceiling" over the coop or run the material vertically, to basically extend the coop wall to the rafters so the gap is too small.

In case breed matters, I have 3 orpingtons (not worried about them), a barred rock (no way she can make it), 2 EE (one has flown over a 4' fence a few times, but doesn't normally try to perch up high), and a leghorn (who is the main one I'd be worried about, if any of them). I am adding a welsummer, australorp, legbar, and 4 swedish flowers this fall.

That’s my thought too. It’s not a predator-risk opening, but it could be a “I’ll sleep up here and poop down the front of the coop doors” kind of issue.

I'd probably go with netting stretched taut (but not tight) over some screws on the frame, so it can be removed if needed for any sort of maintenance reason, but is otherwise cheap and just enough to bounce any chickens off it if they attempt to get up there.

good idea on the screws so can be taken down, although with the configuration it will be a giant pain to get it back up. which is why i need to decide now. i think i’m going to use this stuff

B698E26C-5E5D-4FFA-A6DE-2666635A9280.jpeg

hooking it onto screws will at least make it somewhat easier to mess with if i need to down the road! thx for the idea!

update: confirmed today that yes, this space needs to be blocked off. proven by the exact hen who i thought would be the one to discover it (and she did, within seconds of being set on the roosting bar inside).

Attachments

• 03306381-CEEB-4B0A-A906-F2256CA28CB3.jpeg
    03306381-CEEB-4B0A-A906-F2256CA28CB3.jpeg
    670.8 KB · Views: 24
Working on a new coop and need to make a decision on an area before I continue. Once I close off this area, it makes it much harder to work on the area in question.

The coop is elevated and enclosed in a predator proof, covered run. The original plan I'm working off of calls for a HWC ceiling over the coop and run. I thought that was a waste of space, lumber and HWC, so instead I closed off the exterior areas under the roof. It was more tedious to work with the small cuts of HWC, but I like the way it turned out. Doing it this way also prevents wild birds from hanging out under the roof/above the coop/run and pooping on my chickens.

However, because there is no "ceiling" over the coop section now, there's a gap between the top of the front coop wall and the ceiling, and I can't decide if it's an issue.

The photos show the framing - no coop walls or floor yet. Red = coop walls. Blue = coop floor. Green = area in question. Obviously the back wall would be covered, but if I shaded red you wouldn't be able to see the interior markings.

View attachment 3264062
View attachment 3264064

If a hen were to reach the top of the coop wall, there's 16" of space between the coop wall and the roof. The rafters are about 30" apart.

There's a 6-7' drop from the top of the coop wall to the floor of the run (if they were to fly up from inside the coop and then down from the coop wall to the run floor).
Should I find a way to block access to the vertical space between the top of the coop wall and the roof? Or am I overthinking it? If needed, I would use something like chicken wire, HWC, bird netting, etc (to preserve ventilation). If I need to, I would either put a "ceiling" over the coop or run the material vertically, to basically extend the coop wall to the rafters so the gap is too small.

In case breed matters, I have 3 orpingtons (not worried about them), a barred rock (no way she can make it), 2 EE (one has flown over a 4' fence a few times, but doesn't normally try to perch up high), and a leghorn (who is the main one I'd be worried about, if any of them). I am adding a welsummer, australorp, legbar, and 4 swedish flowers this fall.
Im from south louisiana where we have hurricanes. I’m thinking that if the wind can get under that space it can tear your roof off. Any tiny spot that the wind can get under can peel your roof off easily in a wind storm. Also that would be an extra draft that could blow through and make them cold on a winter day.

View attachment 3264062
View attachment 3264064

Should I find a way to block access to the vertical space between the top of the coop wall and the roof? Or am I overthinking it? If needed, I would use something like chicken wire, HWC, bird netting, etc (to preserve ventilation). If I need to, I would either put a "ceiling" over the coop or run the material vertically, to basically extend the coop wall to the rafters so the gap is too small.

I'm just new at this, but I'm facing essentially the same issue. I'm using the bottom floor of our back deck. I'm planning to chicken wire all of it in for a chicken "resort." I do plan to close all the top rafters with chicken wire, since some types of predators may be able to reach to the top with their climbing abilities...

Im from south louisiana where we have hurricanes. I’m thinking that if the wind can get under that space it can tear your roof off. Any tiny spot that the wind can get under can peel your roof off easily in a wind storm. Also that would be an extra draft that could blow through and make them cold on a winter day.
If it comes to my chicken babies getting cold, they'll come into my room. Just ask my husband!

Back
Top Bottom