New coop for our urban chickens

Wissa38

Songster
8 Years
Jan 21, 2012
Hi,
So we got our first chickens unexpectedly from a neighbor who was moving 8 years ago. At the time we quickly constructed our first coop which we've tweaked and tuned over the years.

Finally we decided it was time to build a new one. We live in a small city and have medium sized back yard, so I wanted something that would be comfy for 8 or so chickens (our max) and make caring for them easier.

My wife is incredibly handy and as soon as the ground thawed started construction!

The new chicken house has two doors - one that dumps right into the chicken yard and one from the yard proper.

It has plenty of space to keep most of our chicken supplies, and a wooden platform off the back where we keep extra food in large metal trash cans.

IMG_8309.jpg

This is the door from the people yard - in the upper left is the stovepipe for some extra ventilation.

IMG_8316.jpg

We still need to put in the little pop door which will go right next to the big door - right where the tyvek is still showing.

IMG_8304.jpg

The big door into the chicken yard. The compost, for now, is off to the left so it's easy to clean out the poop each morning from under the roost.

IMG_8306.jpg

Plenty of space to hang our chicken stuff and room to wander.

IMG_8313.jpg

Barbara, our 8 year old matriarch, approves!

Looking pretty good! I don't see enough draft free ventilation. Nice to see big nest boxes and the roost higher than the nest boxes. And chicken wire being used the correct way, to keep chickens out of an area.

Put your location in your profile so we know your general temperatures etc.

JT

I have ventilation high up on all four walls. I did wonder if I need more. I'll think on that.

The general consensus is 1 Sq Ft per bird or 10% of the floor space as a minimum amount of draft free ventilation. Moisture laden air from breathing and pooping will rise on it's own (it's how clouds are up high). The best place to have it is under your overhangs so it does not get rained through.

JT

Wow looks great and functional, and I love that you thought of using wall space to help store your equipment too (I have very little usable wall space, I filled up with windows). The double doors are a fantastic idea with this layout.

Nice work. Love the size and design. Well thought out. For the best natural ventilation low on one side and high on the opposite. That allows the heat to do the work, moving the hot air up and out and drawing the fresh air in low. Air conditioning duct grills make great vents. And come in a lot of variety, so you'll most likely find ones that match your style.

Back
Top Bottom