New coop in progress!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Wabi Sabi, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Wabi Sabi

Wabi Sabi Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    I started off this spring with a tiny little coop/enclosed run and a few bantams. Here we are a few months later with many more chickens and quickly trying to put together coop #2.

Earlier in the summer I purchased a HUGE doghouse on Craigslist for $50. We decided to use it and use this as our inspiration:

http://www.greenchickencoop.com/Our_Coops.html

[​IMG]

Now, I'm not handy in the least nor is my husband. Luckily we have a family friend who has helped us out the last couple of days and now we have this:

[​IMG]

There's still more to be done- hoping to get a coat of paint on it today or tomorrow, then the hardware cloth. Still need to do some work on the inside of the coop as well, but so far I'm very pleased with our results!

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG]

3. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Wow! Wicked cool. [​IMG]

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Fun! [​IMG]

5. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    Looks awesome!! We used a dog house as one of our coops for about a year! It worked out great, I just wish ours had been light enough to put on a stand like yours, we had to CRAWL inside to get our eggs lol lol

6. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    MomtoSyd&Emma :

Looks awesome!! We used a dog house as one of our coops for about a year! It worked out great, I just wish ours had been light enough to put on a stand like yours, we had to CRAWL inside to get our eggs lol lol

We have a really nice lil roosting area for them - but they still use the doghouse - luckily we found another house to move the dog to! I have 3 year old.

Sing along now... "She finds eggs in lowwwwww places"

I love that coop idea!​

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  7. Wabi Sabi

Wabi Sabi Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    MomtoSyd&Emma :

Ours is HEAVY. It took four men to lift it and even then it was a struggle. Thank goodness for big, burly neighbors who don't mind being paid in fresh eggs. ;-)​

8. ndemerly

ndemerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Owosso, MI
    Looks as if you have a couple chickens that escaped![​IMG]
    It looks good though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by