New coop, laying on the floor!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BethieofVA, Dec 8, 2010.

1. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    We just did a coop redo and made a bigger and better one, all but two of my chickens are using the boxes. It is two of the original birds that are laying on the floor in the corner, and one of those also sleeps in the box. What gives? How I can get them to catch on where to lay? and not sleep in the boxes? I do have plastic eggs in there, but nothing. I just figured they knew what to do before that it would carry over. I guess I am wrong! UGH!!

2. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Make sure your roosts are higher than the nest boxes - and then sit the hens on the roosts every night 'til they get the idea.

Put something in the "laying corner" to block it. I'm storing some small cages in my corner! [​IMG]

3. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    I've got one that lays in the corner also. She's also the one who still sleeps on the floor in the corner. Guess I'll do the same and block that area off.

4. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    The roosts are higher than the boxes, but I guess they must be warmer. I think I will put something in them at nighttime. Crazy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by