New Coop planning for predators

NancyBrew

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 17, 2009
Hi Everyone,

Wow I am learning so much here. I have read this topic and wanted to ask a few questions about planning for coyotes, foxes, coons, hawks, owls.

I live in Southern CA and we have coyotes here. We hear them at night on occassion and one even tried to kill our neighbors scotty. Luckily she heard the commotion and came running. We also have raccoon and many birds of prey.

I am planning on building a outdoor run and coop and locking the chickens up every night.

I have read it is best to bury wire to 12 inches down but what sort of wire? Is 19 gauge 1/2" by 1/2" wire cloth OK? If not what do you recommend?

I know it should be heavier than the standard poultry "chicken" wire right? What is fairly bite proof? I do plan on roofing the top of the pen, half with solid roofing and the other with wire, as well and wondered it that was suitable to keep owls and hawks away? Would the be any benefit to adding a second row of wire buried horizontally around the outside perimeter as well? Since the chickens will be housed, I am not so worried about predators getting into the cage during the night, but the day while I am away at work.

Also does a 5 or 6 ft chain link fence help as a barrier for coyotes at all? I just imagine they can probably jump it, but I would like to at one point fence in a good deal of my lot to left the chickens free range while I am out with them. It just is not practical costwise though if they can easily jump it.

Also are there any precautions for snakes I should be aware of?

Thanks for the topic...and advice!

NB

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from Washington

NancyBrew,

Not sure of the gauge, but most on here reccommend 1/2" hardware cloth- the stronger the better.

Yes. Chicken wire is for keeping chickens in, not keeping predators out.

Covering should keep the owls and hawks out.

You already answered your question about the chainlink.

Hope this is of some help. Good luck

Imp-Have never had to deal with snakes of the 0 legged kind.

You can try searching for specific answers. Search is at the top of the screen.

Don't know what kind of floor you plan on, but don't forget about digging under your fence or walls.

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. @Turducken- I am building a solid raised wood floor in the coop (much like a shed ) and then in the run, adding either underground wire and or some cement 12" blocks (I saw these in some pictures this morning). Great idea.

I am so excited about getting this started, but I want to plan carefully to protect them from the start.

NB

Last edited:
19g 1/2" galvanized wire would be great. I would bury it down 12" then out 12", rather than putting in a second row of wire. I have read on here where this method is used by wildlife experts.

I suspect coyote could climb chain link, even if they could not jump it. You could always give a little free range time with a gun at hand.... Of course they can come during the day but are more likely at night. We are lucky and hear them here but rarely see them. Guess they find enough prey away from people.

You are certainly planning ahead. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom