New Coop Progress: Siding and Roof Structure

CityCraft

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 3, 2013
Dallas, TX

Here is the coop as of Sunday (this photo is before we added the last piece of siding on the fence side). We laid the roof support for the shelter and then installed the siding.

Because this is a very sturdy construction for a chicken coop, I went with a very thin plywood for the siding so as not to add any more weight. I found a plywood siding with grooves every 4 inches. Most plywood siding comes with grooves 8-inch on center, but aesthetically I thought that would be too wide for this small structure and found the 4-inch.

As you can see I modified the roof design of the Chicken Coops for Dummies "All-in-One" plan to create a more modern shed-style roof, and I LOVE the effect. Doesn't it look great? The roof itself will be corrugated metal.

My father being a construction expert also notched the roof supports so they slipped perfectly in place. He then cut the siding with notches as well. (I would never have had any idea how to do that.)

The next step will be to frame in the run and add the roof support over the run.

For anyone that wants to follow along, I'm on Instagram @citycraft.

Last edited:
As of this morning:

Back
Top Bottom