New Coop Project - More Pics post 8

blsimpson

Chirping
13 Years
Oct 30, 2009
Gilroy, Ca.
I was recently gifted the money to finally build the coop that i want by my parents!!

I borrowed this design, and made a few of my own modifications.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=32956

Im
going to shrink it some, making it 8'x4', and gunna put the nesting box on the outside, instead of inside..

Went and bought all the supplies today. so excited!!

43758_img_5397.jpg

What its replacing: (Im going to turn this one into what Im calling the "integration coop". Going to use it as I introduce new birds into our small flock..)
43758_img_5399.jpg

And of course, cant forget the helpers.. :)
43758_img_5400.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC, home of the friendliest most helpful people you will meet anywhere. Nice place and good idea to have bump-out nest boxes in a small coop. Makes it roomier for the chooks and you will have less fighting that way and a little cooler. Do not neglect ventilation and do not neglect protection against predators. A dog that stays outside all night is a good start. I went with a 6' tall pen, steel 2x4 welded wire set in cement. It has a fence charger with 4 courses of hot wire. We have lots of preds hereabouts. We lock them into their coop at dusk daily and so far, no losses.
smile.png

Well, its been hard finding time this past week, with it getting dark so early, but have made a lot of progress on it..

Day (night) One:

43758_coop_002-fix.jpg

43758_coop_003-fix.jpg

43758_coop_006-fix.jpg

Day Two. Forgot the camera till a little later.. Got the rest of the studs up for the walls, the roof on, and half of the roost box built.. Made a lot of progress..
43758_coop_008.jpg

43758_coop_009.jpg

43758_coop_010-fix.jpg

43758_coop_011-fix.jpg

43758_coop_012-fix.jpg

Still have a lot to do.. But its getting there, and i am super excited!

Great pics and it looks like it's coming along very well! I too am trying to finish my coop to get chooks out of a rabbit hutch type thing lol. I miss the longer days as well. It would be convenient to have at the moment.

Got some more pics in the light today. Only really had time to build the door today, to much going on. Saturday I plan to make a lot of headway, as long as my wife will let me work.. :)

43758_img_5417.jpg

43758_img_5423.jpg

And of course, cant forget the birds. :) Onyx (on top), and Sienna..
43758_img_5426.jpg

43758_img_5429.jpg

so beautiful just brings tears to my eyes.. so many chicken people here. I am in a glass case of emotions right now. that is a beautiful coop by the way. I made mine out of scraps of wood. I will have to post it up later on.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom