New coop question

dewtattoo

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2017
Modesto, CA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi guys,

I am currently in the process of building a new coop (You can see the up-to-date build progress via my blog that I have linked on my profile).

My question is this: Should I paint the interior of the coop or leave it raw wood? I was thinking about painting it white, but I'd like advice before proceeding, or not proceeding.

At the moment I don't plan to put up any type of insulation and paneling, because where I live it is hot in the summer and does not drop below freezing in the deadest of Winter.

A little info on the coop - in case this helps.... My coop is under two large shade trees, so my coop and the run only get roughly 4 hours of direct sunlight from the hours of 9 to noon. I only keep 4 hens. The interior of the coop is 5 feet wide by 4 feet deep, with a 6 foot high ceiling (7 feet at the peak).

Thanks in advance for any advice. I am open to any and all constructive criticism.

I think it's really personal preference. I know that some people paint the interior of their coop so that it's easier to clean the walls. I actually wish that I had done that, but alas, my walls are just wood. The wood behind the roost is a bit poopy, and it bums me out (ha ha!) after I clean the coop because it looks so nice and fresh, other than the yucky walls.

If I were to do it, I would definitely use a paint that was high gloss or is otherwise easily washable.

Good luck with your project!
smile.png

Yup , paint it .as you can see the dust and dander sticks , I vacuum mine with a shop vac ( tomorrow hopefully
1f60a.png
)..

Easier to clean and nicer to look at

One of my coworkers this morning was telling me about an anti-graffiti paint that has teflon or something in it that makes it easier to clean up. I'm going to have to look into that.

One of my coworkers this morning was telling me about an anti-graffiti paint that has teflon or something in it that makes it easier to clean up.  I'm going to have to look into that.

Just know they will peck at the walls , I'd want to make sure it's safe first.

I painted 3 of the interior walls with a semi-gloss latex paint and used a single 4x8 panel of smooth Fiberglass Reinforced Board (cut to size) behind the roosts. I anchored the FRB to furring strips with flat aluminum stock to avoid adhesive fumes in the coop and sanded all exposed edges with an orbital sander. It looks good and washes far easier than paint. Although it's rather expensive (about $65/sheet) it should outlast me and the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom