new coop/rod

Quote:
I hear you on the fence. I really didn't want one either but with 3 small dogs it was just easier to break down and put one up. Works out perfectly with the chickens now. The only thing I wish was they could get into the horse pasture but they haven't figured out how to jump over that fence yet!!
idunno.gif

Missi

we do get some good wind! the coopdeville is part of the trailer, built to the frame. I have RV stabilizers being welded on this week.
I will keep that in mind thanks. I will just sweep the littler out the front door, after I pull it near the edge of the woods. )

Hi,
Nice coop. I want to put my coop on a trailer like that. I actually just bought a trailer that I think will work but I just have to figure out how to get the coop up on the trailer. How heavy do you think your coop is and what is your trailer rated to carry? The trailer I just bought is 4'1" wide and 8'1" long has a tongue like yours and is rated for 1,450lbs. My coop is a 4'x8' x6' high but I don't know how much it weighs. I know it was pretty heavy trying to get it off of the trailer that I picked it up on.

Wayne

Quote:
Hey Wayne!

There was 2 reasons for me to put the coop on the trailer. one, I could move it around the property during the different seasons. the second was, if I was going to be gone a few days, I could leave it at friends house. they would have eggs and not go out of there way. it would be clean and not a eye-saw.

The trailer was given to me by a friend. it needed work. I cleaned it up, I painted it, I put new wheels on it, and it was ready to go. what it was rated for, I didn't know. it has leaf-springs on it.
I knew I was going to try and keep it as light as possible. it had to be good for a 1000 pounds. I put 2x6 pressure treated every 2ft. I put 4x8 pressure treated 3x4 plywood on the floor. the rest was 2x4x8 and I thought about it being top heavy, but I did want to be able to use and walk around the coop without ducking my head to do things around the coop. so I spaced out the 2x4x8 as far as possible and doubled up on corners. I kept an eye on the tires and the springs. I used t-1 11 so didn't have to add another form of siding after applying plywood. another big save in weight, I used ice- shield for the rooftop. that Ice shield is a roof in itself that will last along time. because 15 birds were going inside and nothing more than the feed, I thought it would be fine to move around. wind was brought to my attention from another member, take that into consideration as well. after building the coop, of course, I come up with more idea's and plans for another coop. I'm getting ready to do another one, this one for ducks. the idea I have for this one is to save in material, make it much more easy to move. instead needing needing height to do my chores, I will make a wall that opens like a door. this will allow me to work on the coop, keep the height down, get my eggs, more cost effective, and most important!!! much more stable. I'm in the process of doing the plans, if you would like, I would be happy to forward them to you. send me the information and picture of your trailer and I would be happy to help. who knows, I might just make this coop a tool shed and build another coopdeville for my girls. have a good day. Ed....... Tannersville New York

Ed,
Thanks for the reply. I sent you a couple of emails with a picture of my trailer and the coop that I want to put on it. It gets pretty windy here so that would be a concern. This trailer has 12" tires and the deck of the trailer is about 15" off of the ground. Like I wrote in my email, I think this trailer was originally bought at Harbor Freight Tools or a place like it. Its a foldable and tilt trailer and is built pretty strong. I was actually pretty impressed with its construction and it seems well made. Since my coop is already built, it might take some work to get it on the trailer. Of course, after I see your new plans, I might just build something new on top of this trailer instead. Thanks again.

Wayne

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom