New coop/run combo wanting suggestions

ambe0487

Songster
Jul 6, 2015
Urbandale, IA

It is enclosed on 3 sides and has wiring on the 4th side but is partially blocked by our shed.

This is the inside box with roosts and nesting boxes.

I am planning on putting roosts outside in the run part for them play.

I would love hear suggestions as we are finishing it up for my New babies.

It will have electricity so I was planning on a light as well as a fan for summer cooling. We are adding a viewing window on the inside roosts and nesting area for additional ventilation. There is an open door way on the left of that area that they can go in and out as they want.

I'm planning on putting roosts on that top area as well for them to utilize.

Think you will find them roosting on that half wall. It doesn't seem very big? Not sure if that is just the photos? What are your dimensions and for how many birds. It's very easy to undersize your construction when building with young birds. It's surprising how much bigger they end up growing.

I would also do a search on power to coop and fire before wiring it up. It can be a dangerous combination.

For roosts you need at least a 2 x 3 inch laid with the 3 inch side up for bantams or a 2 x 4 inch laid with the 4 inch side up for large fowl. Chickens stand flat on their feet and sit on their feet in the winter there by covering their toes with feathers to keep from getting frostbite. They don't curve their toes around a round pole roost. It looks like your roosts are too marrow to accomodate adult chickens. I would also make sure that you provide plenty of ventilation. When chickens roost at night they exhale lots of warm moisture which has to be ventilated out of the coop.

Last edited:
Think you will find them roosting on that half wall. It doesn't seem very big? Not sure if that is just the photos? What are your dimensions and for how many birds. It's very easy to undersize your construction when building with young birds. It's surprising how much bigger they end up growing.

I would also do a search on power to coop and fire before wiring it up. It can be a dangerous combination.

It is a 6x8ft and 7ft tall coop and I currently have 8 chicks but plan to only keep 4 hens.
As for electric, my husband is an electrician so I feel confident he is doing that aspect correctly.

For roosts you need at least a 2 x 3 inch laid with the 3 inch side up for bantams or a 2 x 4 inch laid with the 4 inch side up for large fowl. Chickens stand flat on their feet and sit on their feet in the winter there by covering their toes with feathers to keep from getting frostbite. They don't curve their toes around a round pole roost. It looks like your roosts are too marrow to accomodate adult chickens. I would also make sure that you provide plenty of ventilation. When chickens roost at night they exhale lots of warm moisture which has to be ventilated out of the coop.

Oooh, that is good to know! I'm need to have hubby fix the roost sizes.

Pretty cool set up - easy access for cleaning is a good thing. I'm seeing that the run is also indoor (in a way). Will there be no access to the outside? I would try and and find a way to get them outside so that they can peck and scratch in the soil. That is very important to their well-being.

Pretty cool set up - easy access for cleaning is a good thing.  I'm seeing that the run is also indoor (in a way).  Will there be no access to the outside?  I would try and and find a way to get them outside so that they can peck and scratch in the soil.  That is very important to their well-being. 

I have ducks that free range during the day as well so I plan to let them free range with them. I am a stay at home mom so I spend a lot of time outside with them to be them.

Back
Top Bottom