New coop run - currently yard grass - what should we do ?

Hi and welcome to BCY. From the picture, it looks like a nice coop. Hard to tell the dimensions but because you live in a hot and humid climate like I do, you need to make sure that it has plenty of shade. The body heat of the chickens in a small coop can cause overheating of the chickens. I do not do an enclosed coop, only 3 sides and a roof in all my pens due to the extreme heat we have also here in SC. But my chicken pens are completely fenced, 1/2 foot in the ground and over the top. I would definitely keep an eye on them if you put 4 or 5 in there. I would also suggest not closing the door, if it has one, at night so as to help with the air circulation. Best of luck with your new chicks.

Hi and welcome to BCY. From the picture, it looks like a nice coop. Hard to tell the dimensions but because you live in a hot and humid climate like I do, you need to make sure that it has plenty of shade. The body heat of the chickens in a small coop can cause overheating of the chickens. I do not do an enclosed coop, only 3 sides and a roof in all my pens due to the extreme heat we have also here in SC. But my chicken pens are completely fenced, 1/2 foot in the ground and over the top. I would definitely keep an eye on them if you put 4 or 5 in there. I would also suggest not closing the door, if it has one, at night so as to help with the air circulation. Best of luck with your new chicks.
Thank you! It has a removable door on back with hardware screen and hardware screens at top gables and front door slides open for ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom