New coop, to seal or not

Sorry if this has been discussed a lot, but my husband just built a new coop with plywood we got from a neighbor. We have a little more work to do before the construction is complete. We are going back and forth on whether or not to seal the entire thing with a polyurethane or only seal the walls and paint the base? We live in south Florida, lots of humidity and rain. My husband is worried if somehow moisture did get in the wood, with it being sealed it wouldn't be able to dry out effectively. We are going to be painting the outside really well to help with the weather. We are also going to be using tile on the floor (overkill, I know, but easier to clean) the coop will also be on an aluminum base raising it off the ground. So should we just seal the floor of the coop where we will tile and just paint the underside or seal it all up? Sorry for the long post! Here's a photo of the partially finished coop. Thanks!
Just make sure you add lots of vents for ventilation to keep it cool in the summer. You'll want some screened windows or you can use hard ware cloth which we used. If you don't have enough ventilation with fresh air circulating your chickens will get sick and they will overheat in the summer. I would also make sure and put it in a shady area. We live in Boise where it's really cold in the winter but also really hot the summer and most of the coop is under our big shade tree. Even with that they need lots of cool treats and 100° weather and tending to, good luck!

Back
Top Bottom