New coop, to seal or not

Mother_clucker6

Chirping
Mar 8, 2022
South Florida
Sorry if this has been discussed a lot, but my husband just built a new coop with plywood we got from a neighbor. We have a little more work to do before the construction is complete. We are going back and forth on whether or not to seal the entire thing with a polyurethane or only seal the walls and paint the base? We live in south Florida, lots of humidity and rain. My husband is worried if somehow moisture did get in the wood, with it being sealed it wouldn't be able to dry out effectively. We are going to be painting the outside really well to help with the weather. We are also going to be using tile on the floor (overkill, I know, but easier to clean) the coop will also be on an aluminum base raising it off the ground. So should we just seal the floor of the coop where we will tile and just paint the underside or seal it all up? Sorry for the long post! Here's a photo of the partially finished coop. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220306_172008.jpg
    20220306_172008.jpg
    838.1 KB · Views: 65
Dry rot is a given in a tropical climate. Seal everything unless you wish to see the coop collapse into a pile of sawdust in two years. My climate is arid, and I fight dry rot.

There are no building codes that demand a chicken coop be of second rate construction and finish. Give the building every bit as much care and attention you would your own dwelling.

Dry rot is a given in a tropical climate. Seal everything unless you wish to see the coop collapse into a pile of sawdust in two years. My climate is arid, and I fight dry rot.

There are no building codes that demand a chicken coop be of second rate construction and finish. Give the building every bit as much care and attention you would your own dwelling.
Thanks. I think we started to over think. I think we need to seal it the best we can. Moisture and wood are not a good combination

I'd paint every inch of that. Inside and out. Do you plan on adding ventilation to the coop? It's important in any climate.

Was my first thought....then roofing?

Echoing these concerns.

As a fellow hot-climate chicken keeper I put what I learned into this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/

Short version is that I find that I need 2-3 times the recommended 1 square foot per adult, standard-sized hen to keep the coop under 100F on a 90F day.

Echoing these concerns.

As a fellow hot-climate chicken keeper I put what I learned into this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/

Short version is that I find that I need 2-3 times the recommended 1 square foot per adult, standard-sized hen to keep the coop under 100F on a 90F day.
The coop we have now for our 6 girls has been just fine as far as keeping them comfortable. It's starting to rot because it was just a cheap thing. More so the frame than the actual coop. The one we are building will be way bigger than what they need and we'll ventilated. They are moving from a cottage to a mansion lol.. Just wasn't sure if using a polyurethane on the entire coop was too much. Or if there was another product to help seal it. Thanks for your response!

Back
Top Bottom