New Coop Ventilation Question

jotik

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2023
Wisconsin
Hello all, I'm building my first coop and with lots of information from these forums, I think I've got a handle on it. I just wanted to double check my ventilation with you guys to see if I need to add anything additional or leave it as is. The coop itself is going to be a walk in measuring 4x6 and housing 6 chickens max, due to ordinances. It's a lean-to style build. There are 2 sides of the coop that are going to have triangular openings towards the top and combined will equal 6 square feet. Then the other sides will also be open, but due to the roof, will end up being a bit over 1 square foot per side, so in total, 8.25 square feet of 24x7x365 ventilation. Roof will be covered in osb, felt paper, and metal roofing.

The side facing our run I was originally planning on covering when I was building it to be a raised coop, but with a walk in on the floor, I was thinking of using what siding we have leftover, which will be Smartside panels, and covering about 25%. The rest above it and the door I was thinking of leaving covered in hardware cloth like all the rest of the openings. I just worry though that I live in Wisconsin and our winters can be pretty brutal, but also mild at times. Today on Jan 31st is -1 F at 10am and will be a high of around 5. But come this weekend it will be a high of 33 and Monday looks 36. So cold, but not like upper Canada Yukon cold. But anyway, should I cover that side completely and the door be covered as well or leave it open? I'm a bit limited on where to place the coop and while most of the coop/run will be well sheltered from wind/rain, the open side will be facing a direction where our winds tend to come from, so blowing into the opening and into the coop/run lengthwise. It will however be above the roosting bars. I just worry about if the wind and rain were more powerful, it would blow under the overhang and directly into coop. I could completely wall up that side and open the higher side that was going to be covered. That will technically trade 3 sq ft for 4 sq ft and then I could add just a small something on that wind side under the overhand to make it less open.

Sorry for rambling. I want to make sure to do it right :) And I have no experience building these before. I will attach Sketchup pictures so you can see what I'm asking about. Thanks!
coop ventilation 1.png
coop ventilation 2.png
coop ventilation 3.png
coop ventilation 4.png
coop ventilation 5.png

Welcome to BYC.

The thing with ventilation is to have airflow but not drafts. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

Is your sketch a coop only or a coop and run combination? The latter, I think?

Which way will the prevailing winds come from? Will the coop be located in the sun or in the shade? Do you plan on wrapping the lower portions of the walls of the run in plastic for the winter as many people do in areas that have cold winters?

IMO, the best ventilation for a shed-roofed coop is located at the top and bottom of the roof slope, protected by generous roof overhangs.

repecka-illustrates-png.3154875

Leaving the triangles open can work just as well, but the one on the outside wall is harder to protect from blowing wind/snow.

Thanks for the responses. I also forgot to mention that we were also planning on having some windows and other ways to open it up during the day, but not for always open ventilation.

To answer some questions, I was hoping that since the openings were tall enough on the top, winds wouldn't be blowing on the bodies of the birds as these openings are between 7 and 6 feet high and the birds would be closer to 4-5. But I was worried about any downward drafts. I can definitely make that side opening smaller to allow less air to flow through. I will attach a picture of the area in question I will be placing the coop. I plan on putting the high side partially under my roof overhang and facing south into my yard. It is a run and coop combo. That area under my roof hardly ever gets any water and gets tons of sun and so I never get any grass growing there even with the rest of my lawn totally green. So figured it would keep them protected from the elements, while still allowing plenty of sunshine. As long as my covered roof/overhang isn't too bad.

Upon looking at Google maps and checking upstairs, the winds wouldn't necessarily blow direct into that opening, more like at a 45 degree angle. The blue on my picture is from what I've seen with most storms that happen, they seem to blow from the northwest. However today it's the purple arrows. I can tell from the snow on the ground though, we also hardly get any snow in that spot, except for some blowing. I do plan on covering the bottom half or more with plastic in the winter all around the run.

So from what I'm seeing, it would make more sense to board up that side and instead drop the backside of the coop to match, which is the high side of the roof next to my house. And on the low end, I currently have it set so the siding would go all the way to the top, while leaving a 4 inch by 4 foot gap under the roof. Not sure if that's enough or if I should add some more underneath. Wind could/would be facing that side of the coop as well as shown with purple arrows. Do I need to add any ventilation on that wall I'm boarding up? Or since we are concerned with the winds/weather, to leave it closed and the rest should be ok? Square footage wise I easily meet the recommendations, especially if I leave my door and part of that inner wall open too. I've edited some on sketchup for reference on what I'm thinking now.
new coop siding 2.png
new coop siding.png
Screenshot 2023-01-31 115953.png

It looks like you have a very thoughtful plan that is going to make for some very happy hens. :)

To answer some questions, I was hoping that since the openings were tall enough on the top, winds wouldn't be blowing on the bodies of the birds as these openings are between 7 and 6 feet high and the birds would be closer to 4-5.

This is good -- height is your best friend when getting good ventilation without drafts.

I will attach a picture of the area in question I will be placing the coop. I plan on putting the high side partially under my roof overhang and facing south into my yard. It is a run and coop combo. That area under my roof hardly ever gets any water

Having a coop in a sheltered area is also really helpful. It's clear that you've taken a lot of these factors into account and made a lot of good choices. :)

I currently have it set so the siding would go all the way to the top, while leaving a 4 inch by 4 foot gap under the roof. Not sure if that's enough or if I should add some more underneath.

With all the other ventilation available that ought to be good.

Thank you very much. I appreciate all the information. I of course have seen your input on a lot of other posts I've referenced and it's helped me figure this all out :) I'm looking forward to the weather turning so I can start building.

One other question I had was in regards to the door side of the coop, into the run. Would the hens prefer to have it completely enclosed so it feels more comfy and less open? Or would it be helpful to have some extra ventilation/airflow and pretty much leave it open with some hardware cloth. We were considering at least covering the bottom couple feet so we could put the small run door in there and so the bedding doesn't get kicked out, but unsure if the rest should be enclosed up to the height of the other siding, while leaving that triangle section open up top.

Thank you very much. I appreciate all the information. I of course have seen your input on a lot of other posts I've referenced and it's helped me figure this all out :) I'm looking forward to the weather turning so I can start building.

One other question I had was in regards to the door side of the coop, into the run. Would the hens prefer to have it completely enclosed so it feels more comfy and less open? Or would it be helpful to have some extra ventilation/airflow and pretty much leave it open with some hardware cloth. We were considering at least covering the bottom couple feet so we could put the small run door in there and so the bedding doesn't get kicked out, but unsure if the rest should be enclosed up to the height of the other siding, while leaving that triangle section open up top.

In my hot climate I wouldn't even have a wall.

In your climate with far more severe winters than I get, you probably need advice from people on your state thread or, at least, people in a similar climate.

:)

I made awnings for the upper "triangle" and hinged them. Always open to some extent, but on extremely windy weather, I tend to have the prevailing side open a couple inches, with opposite side open at least halfway. After the winter, they are open all the way.

Attachments

• IMG_20190311_133617511.jpg
    IMG_20190311_133617511.jpg
    536.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20190312_143944734_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190312_143944734_HDR.jpg
    601.6 KB · Views: 10
I'll just share my build from last year as it seems really similar to what you have planned.

My coop is 6x6 and the run is 6x10.

Remember you need 4sf per bird in the coop, 10sf per bird in the run and 1sf of ventilation per bird. These are MINIMUM recommendations.

Anyhow on to the pics, feel free to ask questions...

View attachment 3392110View attachment 3392111View attachment 3392113View attachment 3392115View attachment 3392117View attachment 3392118View attachment 3392120

This is a really excellent build. One of the top small coop-and-run combos, IMO.

I have forgotten, have you made a Coop Page article for it yet?

Back
Top Bottom