New Coop..Wife Thinks I'm Crazy....Updated Photos

Very nice job! Want to come and work on mine?

I spent many hours designing mine, but we had to change things up because of the slope it is built on. Now I feel like I'm starting over and I just want this done!!! I have 18 chickens now, with the potential to get more in the future.

You can see the progress on my BYC page. Coop is 12' x 18'. The five windows will go in where the headers are framed out. How do you work them if they hinge at the top to open out? Need pictures!

Are stalls better or should I divide the interior up into 1/3 and 2/3? I want to optimize space.

Will be eternally grateful for suggestions from my BYC friends on how to put covered people entrance at back of coop, adjustable ventilation, nest boxes and roosts, pop door with overhang, platform and ramp... I had planned on putting Silkies on left 1/3 and others on right 2/3 with separate run for each side. Also considering turning area below coop into a coop for 3 Sebastopol geese that I would like to get next spring.
Sorry, but I'm freaking out a little.

Last edited:
WOW!! I was not expecting that front 'porch' look on your coop when you first started building! Now I'm jealous! I was thinking I had built a lot of cuteness into my own coop... darn. I want THIS one now!! LOL!! Good job, it's beautiful so far! Where's the pics with the framing around the windows? I'm working on that now, and using some great big wide planks that my DH got me. I wasn't really wanting wide, but going to use what I have and not complain!
wink.png
ANyway, Bravo on your super speedy work and excellent craftsmanship!!! Call me Impressed!!!
clap.gif

Quote:
I think the wife is right! Wow thats some Awesome work. Time to build that cottage next to the lake.

Quote:
Thanks Hawkeye, your coop is very nice as well and like you did with the floor insulation and roof for your Iowa cold and snow, I decided to add the roof over door to keep our often summer torrential rain off the door and windows. Like your storage area, will be doing the same on left side facing the run. Only difference is I will have doors on the outside to bring feed, shavings, lime, etc. but will also have access doors from the inside so as not to have to go out for shavings, etc...Will be simple frames with hardware cloth on them. Kinda dual purpose. Plan to start the siding on back wall, then the roof tomorrow. Will post photos as promised of the progress.
Erik

OK, so when will you be done so I can move in?

Fantastic job! You have a real talent for coop building. Can't wait to see it finished.

Back
Top Bottom