New Coop

AtholCoop

Songster
11 Years
Sep 27, 2008
North Idaho
Built another coop over the last weekend. Yeah so? I can stop anytime.

First off list of materials:
2 sheets of 3/8" exterior plywood
1/2 sheet of 7/16" OSB (might as well buy a whole sheet so you can start building another one)
1 sheet of 3/4" exterior plywood
9 2x2's
12-14 cedar 1x4's
2 packs of cedar shakes.
Metric boatload of screws and finish nails.

Rip the sheet of OSB at 46", then take 3/4" off of the side that's still 48" so you've got a panel that's 46x47 1/4. Frame up the perimeter and down the middle with some 2x2's secured through the OSB.

picture001smallx.jpg

Next up is the gable ends. Rip a sheet of the 3/8s ply in half, stack the two halves on top of one another making sure you line up all the factory edges so everything is square. The two ends that represent the cut you made in order to rip it in half may not exactly match it doesn't matter. Secure the two sheets together with screws in the corners opposite the factory end edge. Measure up from the factory end edge 40" and mark from that point to the middle of the panel. Repeat on the other side, and cut off the corners.

picture002small.jpg

Side panels are next, since we know that the wall height is going to be 40" as a result of the cuts we made to make the gable ends, and we know the length of the bottom panel is 46" we need two panels that are 40x46. So rip a sheet of 3/8's in half, stack ,align, secure with a couple screws in what's going to be scrap and cut the panel. Then attach the side panels to the base with some screws.

picture003smalll.jpg

Time for some more framing. Start by adding the 2x2's to the top of the side panels, then add the 2x2's down the sides.

picture004small.jpg

Gable ends get secured to the side panels with some screws, and things get all squared up and not so wobbly.

picture005small.jpg

Add some framing to the gable ends for the roof structure.

picture006small.jpg

The 3/4" plywood gets ripped down to size since our roof line is about 28 inches you'll need a panel that's 48x34 or so, just leave enough overhang that it looks good.

Take the scraps from the 3/4, and any of the 3/8 and build the nest boxes. Cut the holes through the side panel, and frame up with 2x2's if you cut the side panels for the nest box at the same angle as the roof you'll have a much easier time with the trim later (don't ask me how I know)

picture008small.jpg

It was at THIS precise moment that my camera battery died I didn't want to stop working so pictures sorta stopped. Worked about 12 hours on Saturday and another 4-5 yesterday.
picture009small.jpg

picture010small.jpg

Interior shot showing roosts, and litter dam in the doorway.

picture011small.jpg

I've tried several different methods and materials for hanging feeders and waters, for the money though I just can't beat a piece schedule 80 metal conduit with the ends smashed flat and screwed to the roof framing.

picture012small.jpg

thumbsup.gif
Gratz Now that is a work of art for sure great work and I love the conduit idea. Mind if I stel that idea for mine I have been looking for a way to hang the feeder/waterer from the roof. great work as I siad before.

!!!WARNING!!!!
It will be to small once you catch the *Chicken addicted bug* Keep same plan just go way bigger.

Quote:
Already have actually, built pretty much a dupe of this one last fall that's 4x6, I'd like to sell this one and maybe one more to fund another 4x6 so I can replace my oldest coop which is built out of crates I got from work.

its a shame your camera battery dies as th coop looks superb and being a DIY Numpty i would have only been a able to replicate it with step by step instructions.

How many hens would this hold?

Nice Coop
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom